Music our parents recommended to us

Mick Mac

Picture the scene

A small (pop 6000) Irish town

Friday night, the parents would go to the weekly "voice of Youghal" competition. A very cheap keyboard and guitar player would play showband tunes and the locals would warble along. At volume

Sunday morning - the local radio station would broadcast - FOR FOUR HOURS - the whole event. Which my parents listened to. At volume

Whilst the odours of boiled bacon and cabbage permeated the house

This was what my parents recommended I listen to...

I am not sure in the case of music most parents are anything more than just older, I've had way more good recommendations from friends than my parents anyway...

I'm not sure mine ever recommended anything to me actually. Grew up hearing big band and jazz when I was a kid which was mainly my dad's choice. I still like a bit of that stuff but it looks a bit odd next to the rest of my collection which is mainly guitary - indie ish bands.

David Bowie, Beatles, Kinks, Ian Dury, Aretha Franklin, Talking Heads

My mum (now 67) is more up-to-date with current music than me! She went through a big Outkast phase recently and remains a faithful devotee of Prince.

I remember a classic moment at one of my birthday parties (I guess I was about 7 at the time) when I decided to play "Plaistow Patricia" by Ian Dury to my friends. For those of you who are not familiar with the song, the opening words are "**seholes, b**tards, f***ing c**ts and pricks"

My mum was mortified.