If I did not live in ED I would live in............

ratty

The ball and chain and I were away for the weekend visiting relatives and friends in Lancaster and Manchester. Whilst up that way we perused houses available with perhaps a view to buying up there once the foetus becomes an ankle biter.

Where would you guys realistically go if you were forced, through extreme poverty and the desire to prevent your kids growing up in gangs, to leave East Dulwich?

What, can we go anywhere? I like the african bush (even have a big hat thing like you see in them 'ol films). You could take the family back to basics Ratty, live the ED hippy utopia! (Till we all join given the price of land, availability of fresh food - beast and veggie, and the delightful little italian bar you have the locals set up!!).

Sadly the black squirrel is no more, it used to be the sort of place people had impromptu sing-a-longs before stabbing you in the face with a broken bottle.

Now it sells thai food. I ask you, whats happening to the place. Ever since London types moved in with their fancy ways, cashing in on a rotting broom cupboard above a traditional boozer in East Dulwich and buying an eight bedroom mansion up Glebe Road, things just ain't what they used to be down Letchworth way.

You should see what happened to the locals bar in The Broadway, sheesh.

Hmmm, I've a weird sensation of deja vu (not the iffy denzel washington 'thriller')

Dear Mockney,

I can't believe you said Buenos Aires! That is the one place I would gladly wave goodbye to Dulwich for. I saw on your flickr site that you had photos of Buenos Aires, it is the most beautiful city on the planet as far as I am concerned. I love Argentina.

DM

Hi Ratty

If you're looking for a place like East Dulwich but up North, try Chorlton (suburb of Manchester). Visited relatives there last year and was amazed at how similar it seemed (their Lordship lane is called something like Beech Road and has a festival every year). They also have a cool independent supermarket - something we could do with here.

Thinking of kids - a nice suburb of Edinburgh might be nice (Scottish education system is better + low crime).

PS Can't believe nobody has answered this thread with the word "Clapham"

But James darling,

Isn't there a dreadful IV drug problem in Edinburgh?

Isn't it famed for it's "shooting galleries"?

Doesn't it rain a huge amount?

Wouldn't the Scotts eat is for tea as they would consider us Southern Softies?

The cost of fuel just to keep our newly purchased capacious homes would surely be exorbetant??? (please excuse the spelling - I have just opened a bottle of Tesco's finest Sancerre)...

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well either a lakeside village in the Bernese

> Oberland, or a village in the Yorkshide Dales

> within delivery range of the Harrogate Waitrose

> :-$

WHS

RuthM

dulwichmum Wrote:

> But James darling,

>

> Isn't there a dreadful IV drug problem in

> Edinburgh?

>

> Isn't it famed for it's "shooting galleries"?

>

> Doesn't it rain a huge amount?

It rains in Glasgow, it blows in Edinburgh.

Horrific property prices, though.

James Wrote:

> Hi Ratty

>

> If you're looking for a place like East Dulwich

> but up North, try Chorlton (suburb of Manchester).

> Visited relatives there last year and was amazed

> at how similar it seemed (their Lordship lane is

> called something like Beech Road and has a

> festival every year). They also have a cool

> independent supermarket - something we could do

> with here.

>

> Thinking of kids - a nice suburb of Edinburgh

> might be nice (Scottish education system is better

> + low crime).

>

> PS Can't believe nobody has answered this thread

> with the word "Clapham"

Cheers James, I have been in Chorlton most of the weekend as my mates live there. I have a long history with the place as my Sister used to live there and ran the Horse and Jockey for some time. The problem with Chorlton is this:

Constant Random Shootings

Hugely overpriced houses (to be made worse by the arrival of the bbc)

Horrible random crime

It's in Manchester!

Other than that I have to agree about the ED similarity, especially Beech Road.

Lancaster on the other hand is a beautiful city with more pubs per square inch than anywhere else in the universe!