Wine Tasting

dulwichmum

OK, I am prepared to admit that it might just be me, but does anyone else on here open a bottle of wine at least once a week - and kind of know what they like - but not enough? Wouldn't it be simply perfect if one of the super local alcohol emporiums would allow forumites a huge (and I mean completely enormous) discount every week off a good bottle of white (ok or red) and then we could all evaluate it's merrits here on the forum? It would be good advertising for them - and rather pleasant for us too? Has anyone on the forum got some super insight to spare? Some educated comments to make? Mr Administrator - could not the local establishments be contacted and asked to participate?

What say you fellow forumites?

DM

Shame on you DM for not attending the G&B forum wine tasting

And for having a preference for white above red. (still, better than the choice offered in Roddy Doyles' The Van - "Black or Blue?")

But count me in on the wine-reviewing business. The independents do promotions on certain wines anyway each week - do we need to ask for a discount? Better to be offered than ask surely?

Er, once a week? we open at least 2 bottles every night in our household and it's none of this new world plonk, only French wines for us and all our wine knowledge is self taught (we take our drinking seriously)! If you want any tips then please feel free come round to our house armed with a good bottle of red and a chunk of Epoisse De Bourgogne...

Dear Fruitytarts,

Yes I would agree with regard to the opening a bottle every night of the week, but to try to organise ourselves perhaps one a week should be enough to start us off? What evening and where from?

Would someone not come forward and give us a discount? They would be sure to sell a couple of cases at least if we were all going to buy a bottle...

DM

Dear Spadetownboy,

Isn't that a wine bar? Couldn't we buy bottles from a shop and comment about it on the forum? It would be a really neat thing to do - to attend a wine tasting in your own home, especially with small children to look after.

DM

How about I pop into Threshers (because that is easy) and ask them to recommend me a bottle and give me some notes on it, which I will put on this thread. I know the grand total of nothing about wine, so I am really looking forward to seeing what other people have to volunteer about the bottle that we drink.

Because this is the first week, and just to get the show on the road - how about I get a bottle of Chablis for under a tenner?

We could drink it "together" on Sunday evening.

Next week - someone else could choose. Perhaps in the order of who has replied to the thread initially - Ant, SeanMacGabhann, Badger, Peckham_Perkster, Fruitytarts, Spadetownboy, Mr Batdog and Jah Lush? Anyone else???

Have we any super wine connoisseurs on the forum who would be prepared to lead us? Otherwise, we shall end up with lots of comments like - "this is nice!" from me?

DM

Definitely Mr MacGabhann,

It is just that I cannot really get out much as the kids are so small and my hubby is often working late. Perhaps you do the block wine tasting thingy, and then come away with some ideas of what to try out here on the forum and those of us who cannot make it can try them out from afar... That might be a better plan?

I like the sound of this virtual wine tasting club and doing it at G&B's sounds good as well I know we can reserve an area if needs be though it can get noisy if it's busy. Maybe we need to ease ourselves into this gently like online dating starting off with virtual wine tastings eventually building up to a real date at G&B's - I'll be the one with purple teeth from the plonk.

I'm part of the Virgin Wine Discovery Club which means I get sent a case every quarter or so which comes up with some lovely stuff and is good value for money. I'm no wine buff at all but at least this means I try things I wouldn't usually so I'm getting there.

I'm up for a tasting this Sunday and it will tie in nicely with the other half being down from Brum so I can add his comments as well.

Let us know the exact Chablis DM if we go ahead with this and I shall make sure I buy a bottle.:)

A good idea Sean but I rather like DM's suggestion too. Also, Oddbins (the King of Off Licence's in my humble opinion) in the Village might be a good bet too. I know a chap who works there (fine bass player too by the way), perhaps I'll have a word in his shell like.

Also, I'm no wine snob but it is worth paying that extra few bob for a decent bottle, although it is still possible to get a quaffable bottle for under a tenner.

So a nice chilled Chablis for the ladies (DM's suggestion) and perhaps a decent Haut Medoc for the chaps. Perhaps we could discuss this tonight at the Forum jolly-up.

Urm, I'm more of a red wine drinker myself but like to open myself up to the world of white wine every now and then. Shame on you for presuming that all ladies will be more interested in the white option!

Surely you guys want to experiment with some white as well? Prove to us that you are real men...>:D<

Dear Jah Lush,

You sound like a man with connections! Will you have a chat with the person you know from Oddbins then and get back to us with a suggestion in time to get it for Sunday?

I was being lazy you see, there is a Threshers at the end of my road!

DM

I was thinking the same thing Asset, I know it's pushing it but if it's possible to come up with something by the end of the working day that would be perfect as there is an Oddbins really close to where I work so I could pick up the flavours of the week ready for the tasting on Sunday.

Certainly DM, I shall try and get in touch with him over the weekend. I'm fully aquainted with the Threshers up your end and I honestly can say that they are quite a pleasant and helpful bunch in there so perhaps you could work your feminine charm on them and I'll work on the Village Oddbins and maybe Sean can do G & B. Is Sunday too soon, it might be for me as I have a party to go to Saturday night and may not be any fit state to partake but we'll see.

Also, sorry if I sounded presumptious dear Peckham-Perkster but I was only going on the suggestions. I prefer red too and I know plenty of ladies who do too but in the summer when it's hot a nice dry chilled white or indeed a decent rose is right up my street. Cheers!:))

Definitely white for me, as long as the weather hasn't reverted back to cold and wet by this evening.

Does anyone else find their wine choice following the seasons somewhat? Big reds, shiraz etc, for winter; lighter red and whites for summer? (Depending on what you're eating, of course, but generally speaking...)

I'm a member of the Wine Society and have had some great stuff from them, but at the same time I'm no connoisseur and have a lot to learn on the subject.

G&B would be great, but DM's idea of virtual, home-based wine tastings would be a lot more convenient for me.

With you on that one Ant, robust reds in the winter, lighter burgundy when warmer. I was also of course forgetting that there are people on here with children so a virtual tasting is obviously more convenient for a lot of people on here but would also be just as much fun.

Personally I prefer light reds all year round but chilled somewhat in the summer - feel pickled if I drink too much white, however am happy to have a glass or two for the tasting. I can move on to the red after!