Interview questions help

Strawbs

I need to think of an answer to 'what is your biggest weakness'? It was brought up at an interview yesterday and I didn?t have an answer and she said if I get an interview for the role she is putting me forward for then I MUST have an answer if they ask me, it is looking promising I will get an interview on Friday. I said 'filing' as I didn?t particularly enjoy it but that just isnt enough!

Help!!

ha ha TM no its for an Executive Assistant role..

the below would best describe me in a tactful way.. Especially the 2nd one.. I also dont want to really draw on a weakness as then that just highlights why they shouldnt employ you!

Passionate about what you do (can make you impatient)

Impatient (with others if they don't work to the same level/speed/quality as you)

Involved - sometimes take work home and need to give it a rest as you know that work life balance is important for your sanity!

Best bit about Georgia's v helpful link was the follow up: show how you now manage this weakness.

ie I used to be have massive tantrums in the middle of the office but I've learnt that if I recognise the symptoms in time, I can run to the loos and cry in there instead.

Yes SM Im nowhere near as diplomatic as you, bit of a straight shooter as my father would say (just then replace straight with lezza and we are there!!) weehayy!!!

Brendan - that would be my dream answer to give but sadly I fear I would never get a job and would have to come and live with you!

Everyone has weaknesses including the person who is interviewing you. The worst answer is "i am a perfectionist" it is such a cliche and anyone who interviews often will have heard it time and time again. It ranks up there with getting a degree as your greatest success. The most important thing when being interviewed is that the person can relate to you and can imagine working with you. If they like you and dislike a slightly more qualified candidate in many situations you will get the nod.

I think "getting frustrated with others for lack of ability" can come across as smug and self-important in interviews. I would say;

"I think a weakness of mine would be that I am too willing to take on work which falls outside of my recognised job description. Generally I am doing this to either develop or help out a colleague but occasionally it impacts my ability to deliver in my core role. I have improved vastly during my last job but I still have progress to be made"

The above shows; willingness to take on new tasks and do jobs that fall outside the 9-5 (which is important as an EA), humility by not giving a crap answer that makes you seem perfect and could make the interviewer relate to you as many people have been in that situation. Depends on who is interviewing you - if it is an office manager, a Senior EA, or the person you will be working for there should be slightly different approaches to each interview.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mikecg Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ive seen 2 suicides at work and 1 nervous

> > breakdown, 2 x jumpers inside the buildings and

> a

> > Lady who was so distressed she decided to lie

> > under her desk and cry uncontrolably.

>

> Strewth Mikecg! Are you a Merchant Banker?

Should have known Hoochie would already be "In Like Errol Flynn!":-S

Strawbs,

I have been asked this question countless times. My answer is always the same - I am a perfectionist and I work fast, accurate and to a high standard. I am disappointed when others do not show the same dedication/commitment to their work.

Important thing to remember is that every weakness can be a strength as well - perfect, fast, accurate, high standard, dedication etc. are the words that recruitment agents get off on. Use them even when speaking about your weakness.

It goes without saying that your appearance has to match that description - i.e. impeccably attired, prepared, on time etc.

Good Luck!