Cheam - tell me what you think!

Louisa

Oh it's not for me! My sister is moving house and wants to live in Cheam because it's easy access to her work in Guildford, but she doesnt want to move too far out of London. I drove via Streatham, Mitcham, Sutton (ish) to get there and only saw houses and no shops. Wondered if anyone had info on shops, public transport etc

Louisa.

If that's the house you went to see with your sister, then I'd be a "no" if you are canvassing local opinion. She could do better, even if she is a more easy going person than you Louisa, she would get stressed with all the customers, and the late night drop box would keep her awake, for sure.

Ok. Relax people. Help is at hand.

I was born and grew up in cheam till I moved to ED aged 25 so, for possibly the first timeever on the forum, I can speak with knowledge and authority.

Cheam is divided into two. Cheam Village based around a cross roads is quite pleasant. Decent, varied housing stock and some good shops. It lacks any real high quality restaurants but has pizza express and other generic Italian, Chinese and thai joints. The truly beautiful and enormous nonsuch park is on your doorstep. Decent pubs.

North Cheam (where your picture is of) is much more down market. Housing tends to be 1930s identikit. Shops are more generic cheap and cheerful. The place is blighted by a giant sainsburys and the victoria house office block due to be pulled down but currently derelict along with the units underneath. Grim pubs.

If schools are a consideration then Sutton is one of the remaining boroughs with grammars and some of the comps are decent.

Transport links are pretty good with Sutton station being a fairly good hub and west Sutton or cheam also nearby but smaller.

In general it's all very daily mail country. White flight to the suburbs and not the friendliest of places. But in pockets some of the area is very nice. Do you know what roads your sister is looking at louisa?

As a comparison it has the same changes of demographic and environment that you would experience between Dulwich village, nunhead, east Dulwich and bits of Peckham in a similar sized area. It's hard to be more exact.

Hope that helps.

david_carnell, that is extremely helpful, she will be glad to know i've researched it for her as it is a place I had never been to before and I knew little or nothing of it. Apparantly Worcester Park has an M&S? Not sure how true that is.

The property we viewed was on Salisbury Avenue, and although I was not keen she loved it and is persuing it so good luck to her. I saw a park which did look rather nice on route, and I get what you mean about the whole 1930's everything is the same architecture.

Louisa.

Salisbury avenue? Ah, so she's just off the bypassbut very close to cheam village and the station. I don't know the road but it's a handy location and in the "right bit" of cheam.

In terms of other shops in that bit, off the top of my head, there's a butcher, baker, greengrocer, offie, whsmiths, boots, and then the usual odds and sods.

What sort of stuff does she want or need? If you or her have any queries drop me a PM.

Hope she's happy there.

David.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's in Surrey, and Surrey just edges out

> Hertfordshire as being the most boring of the home

> counties (which is saying something)

You know Ware (in Herts) was once known for having the most number of pubs in a square mile...

Louisa - I spoke to a very strange man at work yesterday who travelled in from Cheam for the day. DON'T LET YOUR SISTER DO IT!

I grew up near Cheam and went to school in Sutton so know it pretty well. It's a pretty good place to live if you like suburbia. Really nice pub called the Red Lion which is tucked away up a side street, OK high street, goodish choice of restaurants, good transport links, good schools, typical suburbia.