Brilliant restaurants in London - recommendations wanted

Mark

OK, where do you recommend for a great restaurant to go for a nice meal for two in London? I was thinking of Chez Bruce in Wandsworth or the Narrow in Limehouse but they're both booked up so any similar suggestion would be warmly welcomed. Preferably somewhere which is relaxed with superb food rather than somewhere 'stuffy'

Thanks

Mark

Try Hakkasan, michelin starred chinese but ultra informal - really great atmosphere, off Tott Ct Rd

Wolseley a favourite also

The Harvester on LL is always good if you like the innovation of a germ ridden salad cart

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I can recommend 2 Indian restaurants which are a bit different from the norm and the food is fab.

La Porte des Indes - 32 Bryanston Street, W1H 7EG (behind Marble Arch tube).Tel: 0207 224 0055. Am going there again on Friday, you need to book as gets very busy.

Kasturi - 57 Aldgate High Street, EC3. Tel: 0207 480 7402

The restarant upstairs at the Design Museum (Blueprint Cafe) is where I had my best meal in London. Amazing views of the Thames and Tower Bridge, and as for the food... sublime.

Incidentally, the day before our visit I rang to tell them the person I'd be dining with was a vegan. When I arrived they'd put together a special menu which they'd clearly done specially for us. It's one of the few 'posh' restaurants I've been where the staff made us feel like we were the important ones - not them.

Scotts in Mayfair. here.

A bit of star spotting is essential to a girl's good night out.

The food is exceptional, and the value p1$$es on Claridges. There's even seats at the bar if the going gets tough, and you'll still be impressed. Oysters are just kinda sexy.

James, v impressed by the Blueprint Cafe idea. Yes also to Andrew Edmunds, but it can feel cramped and a wee bit dingy even upstairs albeit in a romantic way. I'd say don't go at all if the table's downstairs. Wolsely yes but cheesy. Sort of swanky, but you can feel like a prole in a nobs place.

the Orrery's very fine if it's romance you're after - food's delicious (it's a cliche but the chocolate fondant I had there was one of the sexiest things I've ever eaten)

Or for a more decadent ambience, Les Trois Garcons. gorgeous food. sumptuous and slightly deranged interior

Canteen in Spitalfields - excellent, British comfort food (roast dinners, pies, jelly and ice cream) - really friendly staff too! It gets very busy in the evening though so you'd need to book.

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> St John Food & Wine in Spitalfields (less likely

> to be booked up than St John in Smithfield, and

> less stuffy too)

Argh, St John Bread & Wine!

Having a senior moment there....:-S