Wine Tasting, 2nd round. A bottle of Chinon from Green and Blue.

Ant

OK - so I ended up in Green and Blue after all. Threshers weren't able to offer tasting notes, and all the wines that were pointed out to me looked... meh, a bit uninspiring.

Green and Blue to the rescue! I said: red, light, summery, can be served chilled, with tasting notes please. They said: 2005 Domaine Couly-Dutheil Chinon 'Les Graviers'. ?9.85 to you, guv.

Sadly I didn't feel able to talk discounts, given that there weren't that many of us definitely committed to buying a bottle. But if we keep this going and get the nubmers up we should be in a better position to bargain.

I'll post the notes up on Sunday afternoon.

OK, here are the tasting notes. Make of them what you will.

There are really two types of Chinon in the world - the fuller style from the limestone slopes of this appellation and the lighter, scented style from vineyards on sand and gravel. This lovely wine is very much the latter, which means is it juicy, silky and easy to drink right now and can even be popped on ice or into the fridge for 10-20 minutes before you do so.

Jacques, Bertrand and Arnaud Couly run this family Domaine, established in 1921 and now considered to be the leading producer in the appellation. They used to buy in some grapes but now only make wines from what they grow themselves on their 90 hectares. Unpretentious but by no means simplistic, this wine is a juicy delight to drink.

Good with: a red which will go with fish as well as cold meats and small game birds.

OK - have drunk almost the whole bottle now (with help from Mrs Ant, I must stress) - and... well, it's nice enough but I'm not all that enthused. Certainly not as much as I was with the Saint Veran last week.

Although I ought to point out here that I have terrible hayfever, and was eating cheese with the wine. Perhaps it didn't have that much of a chance.

James is smiling, (he doesn't say much) I believe that is a good sign.

I am seething with jealousy. This could get nasty. Why, oh why, oh why did I get so bloody drunk on Thursday and give up drink?

James likes it, but preferred the Saint Veran. Now I think he is just tantalising me. I am considering having a glass...

Just tucking into mine now - with cheese aswell. I usually find that cheese makes wine taste better myself.

I heard once that wine dealers buy it with apples and sell it with cheese.

Anyway, I do like this but it's not as nice as the Chinon that I get from Sainsburys (?5.49). I've chilled it but possibly a bit too much and it may get softer as it warms up.

I think this wine goes better with a proper meal rather than just cheese as Ant and I are having it.

Gawd knows what flavours etc I'm supposed to be getting, the Sainsbury's blurb on their bottle says pencil lead!

Mr Asset thinks it's nicer than the Sainsbury's one but then we never agree on wine.

I drank mine last night with some friends over a gentle BBQ tea. I had chilled it but we all thought it was better once warmed up a bit. We felt it was quite woody and really filled your mouth with flavour and had a bit of tannin coating your tongue etc.

I agree, I preferred the Saint Veran from last week.

One saving grace, a real cork :)

Why dont we try a more commercial Supey new world wine? To compare and contrast old world "haute" wine with the new world competition.

I am fascinated with the battle royal between the French artisnal approach (regionally based - tradition, tradition, tradition) and the new world approach (varietal base and lots of stainless steel).

Personally I am a fan of the latter and find the traditional french approach has a touch of the Emperors new clothes to it (mostly, its a bit tasteless, but nobody will say so) BUT am I being a pleb?

So, how about a Rosemont or a Wolf Blass - stuff I call "quaffing wine"? It might be interesting to stand back a bit and share thoughts.

I am happy to nominate a wine - purchased from Sainsbos for ease.

Thoughts?

I've had a Wolf Blass red before - nice but v heavy. Aussie isn't it?

Isn't one argument against new world wines that they tend to use a minimal variety of grape? i.e. White - chardonnay and red - Cab Sauv. This means that the other grapes don't get a look in, don't get grown and the punter ultimately has no choice.

Anyway, I'll drink anything so choose away Mr P.

OMG you will make Mr. PP's dreams come true if you pick a Wolfblass, it's his favourite wine! He likes the white label one which I think is a bit more pricey?...I'm not familiar with it but I know the way to his heart, that and a plate of pie and mash from Maureen's.

Anyhoo pick away, I like the Sainsbos idea, always interesting to see what they have.