Forum Sponsors

Portmoor Lettings
xxxx
www.no-flies.co.uk

http://northwooduk.com/estate-agents/dulwich

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
messageRe: David Bowie...
Posted by StraferJack 01 March, 2013 08:43

whole album is up for free streaming on itunes until release date if anyone is interested

Posted by 01 March, 2013 10:39

Any good? I've been in Ireland and IoM all week so only read one review (the Times) which was very positive

Posted by StraferJack 01 March, 2013 10:47

have a look on metacritic to get the gist - sitting at 94/100 at the moment

[www.metacritic.com]

As *bob* has pointed out, a lot of this is middle-aged guys going nuts after a 10 year absence

But picking up on people who heard it early via tweets and such , expectations were high. Suspiciously so

I don't love the last album reality (it's fine enough), but like the one before, Heathen, a lot (6.5/10 and 8/10 respectively)

so with all of that taken into consideration - I'm pretty much blow away by this. Doubt Bowie-agnostics will care one way or another but I can't imagine Bowie fans with a predeliction for his 76-80 phase won't be mightily impressed

Throw in the last 2 songs (a cross between Rock and Roll Suicide and balld from Young Americans, and a very odd late-period Scott Walker sounding finale) and I can't stop pressing repeat at work

Posted by 01 March, 2013 11:09

Ironically, just after i posted I saw a pretty enthusiastic Facebook post on it from a mate of mine whose judgement I trust (but, to *Bob*'s point, he does fall into the middle-aged bloke going nuts category!). I am excited too! but will have to wait a bit.

Posted by 01 March, 2013 16:03

Coincidentally and totally randomly, I learnt today that Luther Vandross had a major role in Young Americans and Fascination was a co-written 'version' of Luther's own Funky Music...there you go, ('spect SJ was well aware of this tho)

Posted by StraferJack 01 March, 2013 16:07

Vandross often called it out at his own gigs

(i'll not remind that I pointed this fact out to him at my gaff one night after seeing a studio clip of Vandross and Bowie in '74. "today" indeed...)

PLENTY more info on that collaboration here

[bowiesongs.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:03:01:16:08:50 by StraferJack.

Posted by Jah Lush 01 March, 2013 16:33

Talking of which I just so happen to be reading Peter Doggett's The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie And The 1970s which is a song by song guide to his work. Brilliantly researched and a compelling page turner. A must read if you're a Bowie freak.

Posted by 01 March, 2013 17:22

StraferJack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vandross often called it out at his own gigs
>
> (i'll not remind that I pointed this fact out
> to him at my gaff one night after seeing a studio
> clip of Vandross and Bowie in '74. "today"
> indeed...)
>
> PLENTY more info on that collaboration here
>
> [bowiesongs.wordpress.com]
> tion/

Do you know what I had a vague sense that you may have....that was Play off final day, i was distracted and emotional smiling smiley

Posted by red devil 07 March, 2013 13:58

It was only a matter of time...you've streamed/pre-ordered the album, pre-ordered the book, spoke to a man who know's a man who's half-sister's second cousin twice removed can get you tickets...now get the T-shirt

[www.paulsmith.co.uk]

Posted by Jah Lush 07 March, 2013 15:23

Seventy quid for a fecking tee-shirt. I should bloody coco.

Posted by steveo 07 March, 2013 19:39

Tony Parsons is a gobshite and has a fake stutter

Posted by Asset 08 March, 2013 05:24

Haven't been interested in Bowie since 'let's Dance'. My room was papered with his image as a young teen.
Mildly interested in his new shit.

Posted by youandiaredominoes 08 March, 2013 20:41

I'm in my mid/late 20s and first got into Bowie when I was about 15. I still regard Hunky Dory as one of my favourite albums and I also a fan of pretty much everything he has done - in particularly the Berlin albums.

I do worry about musical heritage and how we seem to have developed a canon of music (Beatles, stones, the who, Bowie) that is revered to such an extent that modern music is not considered worthy for inclusion. Maybe the death of the album and a truly great period for music set such a high standard, as well as music becoming more diverse and more choice available.

I was only about 10 when Definitley Maybe came out but I do not consider it to be a great album (sorry!). What albums of the last 10 years will stand the test of time?

Also, back to Bowie, I'm yet to liste to the new album and I am sure it is good but is it actually as good as the reviews are hyping it up to be? Does all his previous success cloud our judgement just a little?

Posted by MrBen 08 March, 2013 21:04

Stevie Ray Vaughan plays the amazingly soulful but brief Albert King style blues licks on Let's Dance. He was asked to join Bowies touring band at that time but turned it down to forge his own career. I love that connection - both are amongst the greats.

Posted by giggirl 14 May, 2013 20:20

Chris Hadfield; the best thing ever on YouTube. Blown away.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by RosieH 15 May, 2013 13:51

Phil Daniels singing Five Years in This House at the National. A sublime moment.

Posted by red devil 25 May, 2013 14:32

A couple of progs on BBC2 tonight...

David Bowie - Five Years @ 9-20pm... [www.bbc.co.uk]

The Man Who Fell To Earth @ 10-50pm... [www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by StraferJack 25 May, 2013 22:59

That doc. Just wow

Posted by TillieTrotter 26 May, 2013 18:59

Yeah it was great. I came over all teenage again. Phwoar!

Posted by 26 May, 2013 23:34

Just caught up with this tonight. Foookin' hell, loved it.

Posted by KidKruger 27 May, 2013 00:16

Watched the Five Years doco on iPlayer this evening and learned a lot about this genius Bowie, so glad he didn't go over the edge in L.A.

Posted by StraferJack 27 May, 2013 06:59

"He was the whitest guy I'd ever seen. And I don't mean pink white, I mean translucent white. And his hair was orange. And I don't mean red orange, I mean oranges orange"

Posted by KidKruger 27 May, 2013 08:16

Another older guy (drumner I think) said something like "when I met him first time he was a great guy, but he was very f*cked-up !".
First impressions etc...!

Posted by Annette Curtain 27 May, 2013 14:24

red devil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple of progs on BBC2 tonight...
>
> David Bowie - Five Years @ 9-20pm...
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
>
> The Man Who Fell To Earth @ 10-50pm...
> [www.bbc.co.uk]

Loved this doc, specially his honesty about beak usage. Mind you living in LA straight or bent out of shape is challenge enough for any huma being.

Posted by 27 May, 2013 17:24

Now that we are entering the 1980s how do you look at the music of the 1970s?

"Er, like this"*

*Bowie does comedy scanning the horizon thing

Posted by giggirl 28 May, 2013 08:31

Hey Quids,

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour
Drinking milk shakes cold and long.

Thanks for the tip. Watched the programme last night.

Px

Posted by Jah Lush 28 May, 2013 09:31

Watched it last night. Great stuff. The interviews with other musician/producers and their take on his recording techniques was particularly revealing.

Posted by giggirl 28 May, 2013 10:02

It was great stuff. Usually programmes like that are talking heads with journalists. I couldn't give a stuff what journalists think about anything! This was insightful interviews with musicians and producers and Bowie himself.

Posted by StraferJack 28 May, 2013 10:07

The BBC has 10 outtakes online with the musicians doing talkthroughs of some other songs - Golden Years, Stay, Modern Love etc

Posted by El Pibe 28 May, 2013 10:27

@#$%& me, wrong thread again...going senile or the software is going potty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:05:28:11:50:54 by El Pibe.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed