The Lonely Horse on Glengall Road

PeckhamRose

So I was biking around and found myself up Glengall Road where this large beautiful chestnut horse stole my attention and so I stopped and parked the bike and we had a natter. He was livid, his ears set flat against his head, and let me stroke and pat his head but as soon as I even thought of walking away he nuzzled me more and wanted some attention. He had plenty of grass, looked healthy, but lonely. Horses should not be kept alone, that I do know. And I did not see any others around. Any idea about who he is and who looks after him?

That's the next book title sorted, then.

I see it as probably tartan misery-lit, set in North East Scotland, referencing the Clearances, the demise of Ross County FC, perhaps even Culloden if we really want to get ambitious. Sort of an 18th century War Horse.

I cycle past him every day and i believe he belongs to someone in the traveller 'village' just south along glengall rd from his field - quite possibly the very friendly irish guy seen walking his staffie every morning through the park.

The horse, i think, is looked after reasonably well (ie. fed, watered, blanketed in winter etc), is thankfully not hobbled and indeed occassionally enjoys tearing around his field bucking and rearing!

It does seem bit sad that he is all alone apart from bits of detritus that end up in his field and a rather lovely fox that often hangs around his feet at sundown.

He was roaming around and was quite a distance when I stopped and he ran over to me. I have that effect...

After talking with him and trying to walk away he just sort of followed me. Then when I walked along the other way he followed me in that direction too. I mean, he was in a fenced area. He did not seem hungry or sick. Just damn bored and lonely.

Jah Lush that's brilliant, I missed an opportunity......

Don't travellers usually have more than one horse though? I nearly got trampled by a traveller's horse, but that was my own silly fault. But I don't know who owns him, so am absolutey no help there. But if he's fed and well looked after, that's the main thing. I'd never keep a horse alone. I'd have at least 2 :). Hang on, think it's time to wake up.

Smoke rises from the township, swallowed by the fallen skies. Charred roof timbers protrude from low stone walls like smashed limbs. Nothing that could be carried by the old and young has been left.

The Duke's men have taken the rest - the furniture, farm tools and fuel that count as payment for carrying out his work.

A riderless horse returns, spattered with wet ashes and blood, to circle his former dwelling. His is, for now, the only life remaining on the Glengall Road. His hooves strike the frozen ground, uselessly obeying his belly's instructions. Eventually he lies down on the rubble where his stable once stood, and lets the falling snow be his blanket, the clouds his roof.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...