The cleansing of East Dulwich

macroban

DiscoDex wrote:

"If people cannot afford to live in ED then they should look at living possibly in Nunhead/Honor Oak/Peckham and stop whinging that ED is too expensive. Maybe even look further out of London till then earn enought to live closer to town."

This is the view of quite a few incomers. To paraphrase: If you are old, on a low income, or working-class you can get out of East Dulwich.

And more:

"The portion of equity increases which enables you if you were smart to release this equity and re-invest in the area for maybe a buy-to-let investment. This has the benefit of you being able to stay in your current house/flat as well as to re-invest in the community by getting people who can afford higher rents to rent your buy-to-let [...]"

Translation: If rich incomers buy a few extra houses and jack up the rents the undesirable poor residents can be forced out of their home area.

"We live in a great place in london and the community spirit is unique [...]"

Community spirit for whom?

community spirit = people of similar outlook to yourselves

all this constant bleating about community is shorthand for ethnic cleaning - although unlike General Ratko & his Regu8alrs, this particualr variant of ethnic cleansing uses economic forces to drive the unwanted out, rather than masssed roundups of males and a one way trip in the back of a lorry to the forests of Kosovo.

Every time I see a brace of black kids wander down Lordship lane, I see a hundred " I *heart* ED" bags gripped tightly by white knuckles and bugaboos pushed onward, a look of steely determiniation in the eyes of the parent.

Once upon a time you sued to have arguments in SE London and pushing in bus queues etc usually resulted in a few secionds of raised voices, maybe a few B movie threats & then everybody got on with things - now its Paddington Bear hard stares and smug comments in loud whispers to their croc wearing partners.

Women with bad haircuts & a head full of school league tables, men with Crocs & Ironic glasses.

Im sure someone here could bastardise Cromwells infamous Connaught statement & tailor it to modern day ED.

I am ole skool and let people on who were there before me. I am not however afraid to make my feelings felt when someone does elbow their way in - sometimes peppered with degrading abuse and words that no one should have to hear on public transport, should the pusher respond in an impolite manner.

I want to eventually move out of ED. but most certainly not to one of the horrible Home Counties, i'd rather be a real area with genuine community life going on. I have always had an affection for north Devon, and as and when I decide ED has become slightly overbearing, that shall be my destination of choice. But for all it's worth, if people decide to sell up and move out of ED (more than likely older residents from a working class background) then I say good luck to them, and if someone from a different social class wishes to spend their money on buying the property then equally good luck to them too. I just dont like the way it's all happening so fast, and the way in which longstanding locals feel the need to move out because the area no longer accomodates them. I would certainly say the number of shops I choose to visit has greatly decreased in the last decade.

Snorky, I know you lie somewhere between heart on sleeve and being a wind up merchant, but that was an analogy too far for me.

You are not contributing to the debate about what is happening here, (and in principal that there are economic forces at work here, but many that have left have done very nicely thank you thanks to those forces, but I won't kick that one off again here) through the use of this analogy.

It is incredibly flippant towards the crimes that did take place, and to compare them to something as trite as house prices contributing to the altering of the make-up of an area, ultimately cheapens the scale, gravity and horror of what he and his Regu8alrs(sic)(?!?!) did, and most have yet to be punished for.

General Ratko did indeed massacre thousands, but in the forest of Eastern Bosnia. A North Kosovan forest is far more likely to be the sort of place he's hiding in himself.

I hate history being twisted and co-opted, usually very very badly and inaccurately, to 'prove' points.

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are Crocs the new Bovver Boots, then, and

> assymetric haircuts the new skin'eads? The

> Croc-booted army of nu-mullets march on, cleansing

> the unwanted with their hard stares and

> unwillingness to barney in public.

I did witness a raised voice and an audible tutting on the saturday morning Queue at the ED Deli. IThe staff were definately worried that a heated discussion was about to break out over the ?1.50 criossants - Scarey times we live.LIkbe NYC in the '70s

Tool up the coppers now, that Wot I say

mockney piers Wrote:

> Snorky, I know you lie somewhere between heart on

> sleeve and being a wind up merchant, but that was

> an analogy too far for me.

>

> You are not contributing to the debate about what

> is happening here, (and in principal that there

> are economic forces at work here, but many that

> have left have done very nicely thank you thanks

> to those forces, but I won't kick that one off

> again here) through the use of this analogy.

>

> It is incredibly flippant towards the crimes that

> did take place, and to compare them to something

> as trite as house prices contributing to the

> altering of the make-up of an area, ultimately

> cheapens the scale, gravity and horror of what he

> and his Regu8alrs(sic)(?!?!) did, and most have

> yet to be punished for.

>

> General Ratko did indeed massacre thousands, but

> in the forest of Eastern Bosnia. A North Kosovan

> forest is far more likely to be the sort of place

> he's hiding in himself.

>

> I hate history being twisted and co-opted, usually

> very very badly and inaccurately, to 'prove'

> points.

It may be crass, but when a thread used terms like Cleansing in its title, it does rather invite this tyope of nanalogy.

YOu are right of Course -( too much info )

Ted Max Wrote:

> Are Crocs the new Bovver Boots, then, and

> assymetric haircuts the new skin'eads? The

> Croc-booted army of nu-mullets march on, cleansing

> the unwanted with their hard stares and

> unwillingness to barney in public.

Maybe we could settle this once and for all by organising a rumble between us "cleansers" and the "old, low-income, or working class" East Dulwichites, the rules will be simple; the winners stay, the losers go to Nth Devon. Of course, it would have to take place on our turf, somewhere nice like the Dulwich Picture Gallery, or the Herne Beer Garden so the kids have something to do. I'm sharpening my rolled up Weekend Guardian already.

DPF the Herne has yet to make it's mind up what it is, so it could turn into quite a scramble for the rolled up guardian and sun newspapers! And if you lose you are not allowed to bring in back up troops from Islington or Clapham! :)

>> but when a thread used terms like Cleansing in its title, it does rather invite this tyope of nanalogy.

True enough. Sadly I think we have a culture of dumbed down lazy journalism to thank for that.

Witness the over use of tsunami to mean 'alot of' in the months after that particular tragedy, a la 'a tsunami of heroin chic descends up on the Cannes Film Festival'

Gaaaah!!!

snorky Wrote:

> Unfort, I would probabaly be conscripted into the

> ranks of cleansers for this particualr turf war -

> can I be a conscientous objector instead ? or

> maybe an umpire ?

No, we'd need your colourful language to finish off any of the wounded who survived the 100 strong bugaboo charge.

And i thought this thread was about the cleaning fairies who have turned up on Llane,picking up litter and making Llane a cleaner place to walk down proudly in crocs and rolled up papers.Apparently The slp were going to do an article on it.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

> Maybe we could settle this once and for all by

> organising a rumble between us "cleansers" and the

> "old, low-income, or working class" East

> Dulwichites, the rules will be simple; the winners

> stay, the losers go to Nth Devon. Of course, it

> would have to take place on our turf, somewhere

> nice like the Dulwich Picture Gallery, or the

> Herne Beer Garden so the kids have something to

> do. I'm sharpening my rolled up Weekend Guardian

> already.

Does this mean that myself and Mockney Piers have to end 6 years of friendship in order to take our sides in a war we don't understand? :-S

Seriously, I have just seen this thread. Some posts make me laugh, others make me cry.

When will everyone stop saying that people from ED are all working class, poor people!!!!!! I'm from ED, and whilst I'm not a rich man, and couldn't give a toss what class I am dumped in to, I'm not signing on!!!!!!!