July EDF Drinks - Saturday 4th July at The Rye Hotel

georgia

No I think Georgia has just arranged it for June, July, August and September

Maybe for summer next year they should do Friday night then have the Saturday afternoon for families - as I guess it's impossible for people drinking during the afternoon to keep it going into the night.

I certainly to bring the CitED family along to this. Loved meeting up with others at the Herne yesterday.

Though I would like the idea, not sure if the Friday night/Saturday afternnon session would work. I get the impression that many people who met on Sat afternoon didn't stay on til the evening.

Can we have two completely separate drinks, one for those who want to bring kids and one for those who don't?

And the one for those who don't on a Friday?

There was hardly anyone there last night (though great conversation) and people tend to have other things going on on a Saturday night.

It seems that more people would prefer to continue the Friday night drinks tradition and schedule the family afternoon session for the next day. In my opinion, these are two separate events that have little in common and no reason to be tied together.

Perhaps the organisers would consider starting a thread where members can state their preferences?

Friday nights seem a good way of starting the weekend with a bang (no clever comments needed here guys... as no innuendo intended!!!) and there has always been a great turn out.

I agree that a monthly family event might be really popular, but the old Friday drinks idea seemed to give those with kids (and without) a chance to let their hair down and get to know other 'adults' in the area...

July 4th in the diary

(though I have in the back of my mind that I am doing something else that night and have forgotten what it is... yiks!)

Have put this on the other thread as well, but just in case you have missed it.

The decision to hold these drinks on Saturdays had NOTHING to do with kids. In fact, I remember suggesting it in the early days of the forum, before I was even married, let alone a dad. The idea was simply to enjoy some beers in the sunshine, and maybe even have drinks at the clockhouse, and a game of rounders on the Rye or something like that.

For me that would be a lot more fun than the usual forum drinks which I frankly don't really enjoy anymore, and am not alone in that.

Sorry.

Keef

That's fair enough, enjoy your drink in the sun - but why do you want to impose your preferences on those who still enjoy a Friday night fling?

It's like trying to force the forum's three book clubs to merge because one can only manage Wednesday nights.

Yes that was my impression as well Keef about the motivation for a Saturday, purely to start the event earlier with sunshine being a bonus. Unfortunately I couldn't make the June one but I think a major factor for attendance is locality.

Since my first drinks in January, I don't think it's coincidence that the ones on Lordship Lane seem to get treble the numbers than say FHT/Herne (which for most people is going to be at least a 20 minute journey).

Perhaps what I should have said is that instead of splitting it into Friday night / Saturday afternoon - maybe a seperate event (say 3rd Saturday) is organised exclusively for when kids can attend.

That's fair enough, enjoy your drink in the sun - but why do you want to impose your preferences on those who still enjoy a Friday night fling?

I don't, this was agreed by a load of people ages ago. I'm flattered you think I HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE ALL THE DECISIONS, BUT ALAS i DON'T.

Keef said on the other thread:

> I agree with Asset that it is a bit seperatist

Your comment implies that you are against splitting the event. Hence my comment.

It's ironic that this discussion has split across two threads.

what's with all the CAPS all of a sudden Keef... you are usually such an easy going sort of bloke...

I pretty relaxed about where and when the drinks are... I have loads of friends with kids so maybe more of them would come if it was in the day time... but it is also good to sometimes have things that are more adult focused... surely there's room for both...

also on a personal, note I don't really drink (alcohol that is) in the day and part of what I enjoy about the forum drinks is relaxing over a few beers/ mojitos/ g&T's/ glases of wine... or what ever my tipple of the week is...

Okay, I don't want a row. Yes I agreed with Asset that it is seperatist, and I don't think they should be split. I was just pointing out however that the original idea wasn't based on families.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mojitos?

yes Mojitos BBW... they may look a bit poncey but the are strong as fcuk and are the taste of summer...

I got hooked on them in a dodgy bar in Havana... never looked back...

cuban rum (lots of it), fresh lime juice (lots of it), fresh mint (lots of it), cane sugar syrup, soda (tiny bit of it)

delicious and a real rush if made correctly...

http://theantiroom.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/mojito1.jpg

don't knock it till you've tried it...