the irish festival

londonray

I didn't even know there was an Irish festival. What exactly is happening and when is it?

On a side note: The Irish, Scots and (to some extent) the Welsh seem to have cultivated (in collaboration with the film and television industry) this myth that they are peoples blessed with uncommonly good looks.

However, I can report from experience that the general level of mingingness is no better than that of England, which is pretty poor in itself.

Dear Bob,

I should like to confirm your point, and hi-light that as a child, to be referred to as "ginger" (generally a Celtic - and even an Irish characteristic) was the verbal equivalent of a punch on the nose, or indeed a good kicking. In my opinion James Nesbit is a very Irish looking man, and his looks are so extremely offensive, that his facial features could indeed have been sat on by a very large lady when they were still warm and out of the oven.

Indeed "The Corrs" are in fact from West Norwood originally, and not Irish at all.

I think the men of Dulwich are a handsome body of men. I am partial to British men myself (the Scotts have thin noses and evil chins) and I am currently married to a Welsh man who has the most strapping thighs and high cheek bones, he must be 6ft 6 inches tall! He is also incredibly rich.

The Irish are not blessed with good looks, just rich husbands...

boy do I feel deflated.....

And londonray - as I pointed out so someone on another thread - easy on the CAPS SHOUTING (heck you even registerd in lowercase so no need to shout)

But as a fully paid-up Irishman myself I can slag Irish "country" music off as much as I like - I was brought up on the stuff (to the accompaniement of boiled cabbage and bacon)

And Dulwichmum is correct about DoD but doesn't go far enough - he makes his Fr Ted counterpart - Eoin McLove - look manly

We can love and hate the things about our roots londonray

Well DulwichMum. My mother is Irish so I assume I have about half of her genes and I am sure that to have produced offspring as devastatingly handsome as me there would have to have been pretty genes coming from both parents.

actually red hair may be one of the last genetic vestiges of Neanderthal man. Modern theories suggest that they weren't killed off or outcompeted, they were brought into our stock through interbreeding and effectively disappeared as a separate species.

Among other things red hair is thought to be a neanderthal legacy.

I'll try and find a (missing ho ho) link.

There have been recent theories about neandertals interbreeding with our closer ancestors. Most of them stem from the discovery of a human femur that looked rather big and could possibly have come from a hybrid.

I thought that these were discredited however when they (the men in white coats they) managed to map neandertal DNA and proved that they were a seperate species who could not have interbred with us. I may be completely wrong about this though as I am a hack and not a scientist.

That aside I do have a thing for red heads. ;-)