Virgin 'Sky' rival box

Nero

I've got Virgin Media. I got it primarily for broadband and as I already have a mobile contract with them, it made sense for them all to be under one bill as it were. I don't really watch a lot of TV so wasn't bothered by what was offered.

However, they have been shafted by Sky's TV package. I'd go for Sky if you're looking for the TV side of things.

I?ve got a Virgin Plus. Had to fight with them about not wanting to pay extra because I don?t want a second box elsewhere in flat. But won after emailing various senior execs (An old trick ? usually works ? start with marketing)

Easy to use, much the same as old Sky Plus Box.

Agree with CWLD and Lady re output. Its all rubbish, and I both resent and hate all things Murdock ? but need, and I do mean need, Sky sports. That?s what addiction is like.

Also, the catch up TV and films on demand are good.

Doodles, Can you record something and watch something else? I have not got a normal ariel, so could never do that with my existing Ntl/Virgin thingy. Pain. I understand the new Virgin plus thingy allows you to watch one and record another? Does it work in practice? Nero

For those of you not interested in "premium" content then I'd recommend a Hard Disk Freeview Recorder aka Personal Video Recorder (PVR). I've had one of these about a year and its revolutionised viewing in my house. The ability to delay start programmes (kids no longer have to gobble dinner down 'cos Dr Who starting in 5 minutes), not having to mess with VHS tapes and programming recordings via the EPG is worth the expense alone. Don't skimp though - I went for a Topfield 5800, which is arguably the best on the market and has a huge fan base of tecchies that have developed their on add-ons to the software.

It also has two tuners which means you can record from two different channels simultaneously and watch something you've recorded previously all at the same time. You will need a reasonable TV aerial though to pick up decent digital reception.

Seconded, I have a Toppy 5800 and it's great. When we're going to get round to watching the 22 episodes of House it's recorded I don't know but at least they're there. And with a bit of fiddling you can set it up to record by text, so if you're down the pub and are going to be there longer than you thought (it happens) then text your Toppy, relax and have another pint.

PVR's thirded!

Best two seemed to be the Toppy or the Humax (another 2 tuner affair). I got the Humax (for ?170), and it's great. Like Sky+ but without the robbing-you-blind-for-things-which-are-free subscription, or the (pet hate) satellite dish stuck on your house.

That said, if it's sport you want, Sky has it all (apart from 'World's Strongest Man' of course)