iPhone geekery

mockney piers

I suppose somebody had to start this. A place for us saddoes wh have succumbed to the lure of the pretty touch screen.

Killer apps, flight control leagues, top tips, this is the place for it all.

My two tips are, when typing a quick shame of the phone brings up the undo option with another shake doing redo.

Tip 2, hold off and tap, well, the other button to take a screenshot that is saved in your photos.

God I'm sad.

Lol, very true moos!!

No problem with hot battery but I'm generally appalled by the battery life in general. Other downside is that it's pretty patchy at all that phone call malarkey. Other than that it's a pretty wonderful tool. First truly good intrrfac I've ever used in more than thirty geekness filled years

I got a spare non-work phone today ?14.99 plus ?10 credit, still it won't act as a spirit level so I can see if the beer table's level infront of everyone at the pub - which probably explains the ?320 price difference - I couldn't get one without a camera though :(

Mockney, the opening post is perhaps the most intelligible you?ve made since you got that dam thing. I?m still a bit vague on the meaning but taking into account the iphone autocorrect mishaps I?ve seen in the past I assume by, ?Killer apps, flight control leagues, top tips, this is the place for it all.? You meant, ?Come on chaps, fighting to control my legs, top tits, this place has it all.? and I?m wondering why I wasn?t invited.

Quids after years of having phones with loads of stupid things on them that I never used I have now managed to get one so simple it doesn?t even have a camera. I had to pay ?5 more than you though, but I think it was worth it.

have had mine just over a week and yes, it's love!

Had to go over to chelsea yesterday so used the National Rail app (which seems to be priced at ?4.99 but sure didn't pay th at much!) to get my trains, and then the map to guide me to the address... sighhhh, how did I cope before.

Record on flight control so far is 80 on the 2 helipad one - sure you can all shame me with your scores!!

Any tips on good app's to get? Got shazam and urbanspoon sorted!

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm generally appalled by the battery life in general. Other

> downside is that it's pretty patchy at all that

> phone call malarkey.

i'm thinking about an i-phone, how bad is the battery? and what are the issues around making calls?

It's actually a series of lectures on a bunch of paintings but point taken.

Battery is ok. For normal phone use or as an iPod. Anything that uses 3G functionality can sap t surprisingly quickly though I gather the latest phone is better at this.

Phone I find patchy at best, it complains about coverage slot whereas my previous ericsson on O2 had excellent coverage, so the missus seems to find herself ging to voicemail quite a bit. Mind you my office is a dodgy signal hole.

On balance I would recommend it though, it's even helping me get past my diary dislexia which family and friends definitely appreciate

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now a fan of iPhone. Battery life can be a bit of a problem - tho' it recharges very quickly. I use m ine with my desktop Apple Mac and synchronise everything - calendars, contacts, notes via "Mobile Me" - a form of cloud computing.

The quality of the screen and its size makes it great for carrying round a small portfolio of photos - used last week to show 85 year old mother photos of her grandchildren skiing and generally being active.

Only note of caution - I upgraded from a very old Nokia so the leap in technology was that much more impressive. I didn't compare the iPhone with other similar products.

The battery really isn't that bad tho is it?

not if you ipod and make calls like a normal phone

But the fact that it is effectively a laptop in your hand and I for one tend to use it like a laptop all day long - well best part of day froma single charge isn't so bad.

It's a victim of it's own success really - no other product which does as much has a better battery life to my knowledge