If anyone found ?100 at the hsbc cashpoint

huncamunca

if cash machines give out an amount different to what you ask for then they in theory take the amount that's spurted out from your account, not what you asked for. So if phillyboy is right and the moneys gone back in then it will not have been taken from the account.

I've had occasion where I asked for money and none came out. That was immediately recredited to my account.

But another time (more relevant to the OP) a machine snatched back some of the notes as I took it out. In that case the full amount was still debited from my account. However I filled out a form and they matched it with the cashing up of the machine and then credited it back to me.

So try getting in contact with the bank. Their cash machine may be ?100 up at the end of today.

huncamunca Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dropped my wallet and the cards spilled on the

> ground & I forgot to pull the money out

Did you walk off and leave it? Or did it get sucked back in?

A few years ago I took a client out to lunch and withdrew cash to pay for it (cash only restaurant) and only when I went to pay did I realise that I had left my money in the machine and walked away. Until then I would not have believed it possible.

The good news for me and maybe for you, is that I went into the branch and told them what happened and they did not blink an eye. They said it happens all the time and if the machine sucks the money back in (they used different terminology) and the balance is out you get refunded. They took my details and two days later the money was credited to my account.

So go into the branch and see how you go, if a homeless dude with no shoes was directly behind you when you were withdrawing the money i think you should keep your expectations low, but if it was quiet you should almost certainly get your money back.

It certainly does happen. Two or three years ago, I was behind a guy at the Barclays bank ATM on the corner ( Lordship Lane). He left without taking his ?30, I genuinely ran down the street after him but couldn't catch up. I kept the money, with hind site perhaps I should have taken it up to the Police Station or given it to charity. I did neither, but I wouldn't have kept the money if it had been ?100 or more. I have in the past handed in wallets and so forth to the police.

I think you're going to have to hope the money got sucked up before the next person approached.

Good luck and learn from the experience.

Ive recently had a very similar experience. i was distarcted by a mobile phone and didnt remove my money. It was only 30 mins later when i realised what i had done. I went back into the branch and they got me to complete a form - cant for the life of me remember the name of the form. The staff informed me that the money is only presented for a remarkably short time ie approx 10 seconds and then gets taken back in. Being cynical i never believe i would see the money again but within 2 weeks it was credited into my account so derinately worth a try !I would imagine that if you were picking up your wallet contents there was enough time before someone else got to the cashpoint for the machine to have reabsorbed the money . good Luck

malleymoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ive recently had a very similar experience. i was

> distarcted by a mobile phone and didnt remove my

> money. It was only 30 mins later when i realised

> what i had done. I went back into the branch and

> they got me to complete a form - cant for the life

> of me remember the name of the form. The staff

> informed me that the money is only presented for a

> remarkably short time ie approx 10 seconds and

> then gets taken back in. Being cynical i never

> believe i would see the money again but within 2

> weeks it was credited into my account so

> derinately worth a try !I would imagine that if

> you were picking up your wallet contents there was

> enough time before someone else got to the

> cashpoint for the machine to have reabsorbed the

> money . good Luck

I once found ten pounds in a machine just hanging there... was late at night and no one around, and I had stumbled towards the cash point for longer than 10 seconds!!!

I once went to the cashpoint and there was ?250 that the guy in front had forgotten to take. I ran after him and gave him it back. He didn't speak English and insisted I took ?20 which I tried to refuse but he wouldn't take it back.

The funny thing was I was a bit p*ssed off that he thought I needed ?20 for something as normal as giving someone back something they'd forgotten. Maybe he thought I was a tramp. Made a point of never going out looking so quite so scruffy again :-)

Now I feel bad. Once, some many many years ago, I went to the cash machine around 11 at night. No one else around. ?100 hanging out. I took it - my friend and I waited about 10 minutes to see if anyone would come back. They didn't

I took this to be a sign that Jesus loves me and wanted me to drink cocktails. Yay for Jesus and his ?100 cocktails.

Funnily enough a few weeks ago I found ?100 at that very same cashpoint; middle of the day, it was beeping and I walked passed before I realised there was money sticking out, walked back and took it. I went into HSBC, told them what had happened and handed it in but then as I walked back out a woman came running up to the machine looking like she'd just left ?100 behind so I told her I'd handed it in, hopefully she was reunited with it! From what they said I don't think it gets 'sucked back in' I'm afraid.

• 4 weeks later...