Torchwood

RosieH

I've only just started to watch series 1 & 2, having seen a few odd episodes every now and then, but I'd agree that the 5-parter this week puts the program on a whole new level, some of the best TV I've seen in a long time.

With 6 million viewers each night I presume they will be making more too, hopefully as good.

EDKiwi, I too would hope so - great drama, for which I think we can thank Russell T Davies (don't know but assume he didn't write the series).

And 5 hours allowed for some decent character development. I thought it was boldly done - not the ending I was expecting, dark and thought-provoking (written as someone who doesn't generally watch sci-fi in case anyone who does wants to tell me it was a load of lightweight froth)

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HonaB, ignore what the Gill has to say, he know

> nothin, I am the new oracle and I tell you - get

> thee to iplayer

Oracle you say? Just had a look in a book and apparently it involves a priestess and an infallible authority.

That's the next run of Torchwoods outlined.

RosieH Wrote:

> And 5 hours allowed for some decent character

> development. I thought it was boldly done - not

> the ending I was expecting, dark and

> thought-provoking (written as someone who doesn't

> generally watch sci-fi in case anyone who does

> wants to tell me it was a load of lightweight

> froth)

Yes I was surprised by how dark the program seems to be turning, defintley not one for the kids, but in a good way I feel, I do watch a bit of Doctor Who but at times it can be a bit cheesy and aimed at the kiddies so it's good they seem to have decided to put Torchwood firmly in adult territory (er...as in the dark nature of some of the themes, not the 'other' sort of 'adult' tv).

You'd think so Biggie, you'd think so.

But this series has proved to be quite the opposite - as EDKiwi has said, these 5 hour-long episodes are darker and way more adult than anything Whovian (is that the word?) Tennant was enough to get me interested in Dr Who (and I'm a quarter Welsh so figure that counts), but Torchwood was always froth, fun, but lightweight, with the mighty purty (and wasted on the menfolk) Barrowman. BUT NO MORE. A whole new league of its own now. Bleak. Brilliant. Just Ace.

Man, I'm rabid. Going to have a steak sandwich.

I'm pretty sure it'll be repeated ad nauseum on BBC3 for some time. It's all available on iPlayer for a week or so.

I thought it rather good. Really dark like some of the scifi drama I grew up with, survivors, day of the triffids (which is being repeated at the moment). It suffered form the usuL problems that Russell T has, plot holes the size of Cardiff being his worst point, too much unsubtle politicking, but given the chance to run wih the late scheduled drama he teLly did run with big themes about right and wrong and compromise and appeasement, and it was well paced and frankly pretty exciting stuff.

Top marks without question go to he marvellous Peter Capaldi, brilliant performance.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> Are there any dance numbers? I always enjoyed the

> dance numbers in Doctor Who.

Omid Djalili as the new Doctor, and a huge Bollywood-style dance number (with multiple costume changes) in each episode- genius!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Really enjoyed this series of Torchwood, in spite of the typical Russell T. Davies ending! Peter Capaldi was truly brilliant! I wonder how often he felt like jumping into Malcolm to swear at the alien and PM?

What interested me the most was the way they left the final scene and what it means for where series 4 gets picked up... I'd be interested to hear where you think it's going to be taken? Will the omnipresent and ubiquitous John Barrowman return in the lead or will they look to a whole new cast?

And Dulwichmum, thank you for giving me a very good laugh: "He (John Barrowman) has had as much Botox as Joan Rivers and she is still more manly than him."