Man + Van versus Van hire

LibraCarr

Hello,

My friend wanted to use a van for four day's a few weeks ago and was dreading the cost. He had rented for two day's from Budget which cost in the region of 175.00 He spoke to a number of people that offered the 'man and van' service and was amazed that most of them wanted over 400.00 for the privelige of being on call!

He then decided to ring around the local hire companies and found a company called A1 van hire in Brixton. They charged him 150.00 all inclusive and no mileage charge. He said that the people were very friendly and would use them again.

My question is that it is so easy just to hire a man and van and then moan about the cost, is it not better to ask hire companies if they do a hourly/half day rate and then drive yourself, thus saving money.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

I rented a van a few years back and something to take into consideration is you have no rear mirror (no back or rear side windows) - which may sound like no big deal but when you're at the mercy of just your wing mirrors you really miss being in a car for knowing the traffic behind you.

http://www.streetvan.co.uk/

An offshoot of streetcar....but with vans.

You have to join about 20 quid I think.

Then it's about a tenner an hour.

Cheaper for longer bookings.

Think you get an allowance of 50 or so free miles a day (then 25p a mile)

Dropoff and collection points starting to appear all over the place - usually in storage firms carparks.

All the figures are off the top of my head but I think they are more or less right.

• 3 weeks later...

i would highly recommend the guys off the top of Rye Lane (Nunhead Park side). Very cheap, rough and ready - cash only sort of people!! I thought they were a little dodgy but actually were very helpful when i had a problem. I was halfway to birmingham and noticed a flat. they suggested I change the tyres on them! ..in the end I just inflated it further and it worked fine.

the vans arent exactly brand new (the earlier you get the newer the car) and they only have about 10 or so vans....but nice and easy and very cheap (ish at least).

cheers