Great Gents Haircut in ED - about time (Lounged)

Jimi

Just thought i would put this up for any gents in east dulwich wanting to get a decent haircut. Having tried a number of the hairdressers in the area since moving here last year i have today finally found a decent one for guys.

The Clipper on North Cross road, the guys are friendly, really chatty, and do a great job of cutting your hair. All for only ?14.50.

So for any guys not happy with the usual poor service and bad manners from the many salons in town, have a look at the below link.

http://www.theclipper.co.uk

no connection, just been really p*ssed off for the last 7 months since moving to ED not being able to get a decent hair cut with a bit of service. i've tried 5 different places on lordship and have bene amazed at how crap the places in this area are. They seem happy to take your money but not provide the servcie in return, some are down right rude. I moved down from west hampstead and for ages i kept travelling back up to get my haircut, but i found clipper on this forum in a really old thread yesterday and decided to give them a shot. so i thought i would re-post the thread as i was really impressed with them. no connection, just a satisfied customer.

Have you tried the new place on LL yet? (the New Threat to Clipper's business)

I like the clipper, but I think ?14.50 is a bit steep for a basic cut though (which is what they do) and I've had a couple of not-so-hot basic cuts in there, so I might try The New Place.

Not sure where the 'service' bit is that you speak of, Jimi? You go in, sit down, wait, get a haircut, pay and leave. You get a sweet - is that what you mean? I've never been offered a shoe-shine, advice on matters of the heart or something for the weekend. Not yet, anyway. You get a beer in the one on Barry Road.

Even though I find Jimi's post a little suspicious, I'm a longstanding fan of the Clipper, generally for the opposite reason to Jimi - I like my haircut without the small talk. But, as *Bob* says, ?14.50 is a little steep.

What does the new LL place charge?

good work Bob, do you hire yourself out for writing wedding speeches, or just really bad birthday cards. i'm sure you've got better material than that. It was actually a toss up between Jazz and clipper, just chose clipper as it was closer. Service meaning - just being treated like a paying customer, having a good chat and laugh whilst getting your haircut. I may try Jazz next time though.

I admit I'm prepared to pay a little more for 'no talking'. But I might spread my wings and try the other place.

I think the guy in The Clipper who does 'really fast hands' has the edge on 'the polo mint cruncher', cut-wise.

Yes but is the conversation as far ranging as it was with Vas when it was Strans. He would also give you tips on horses if you were so inclined.

Also he only ever charged me 1989 prices right up until he left.

Mind in fairness he had less and less work to do as the years went on.

I always thought the woman that worked at the Clipper was the bast. haven't seen her around for a while.

Jimi: as you are (allegedly) new here, I'll explain. There is a sad tradition of local businesses creating a new user and posting a glowing report of their own offerings (the thread started by sadly departed Osbourne Stewart was a modern classic). As you are a new user who has posted a glowing report of a local business first up, you will, therefore, be subject to some suspicion. Stick around - it does get better. Honest!

Let's not beat around the bush here.

Jimi's post for THE CLIPPER reads like an office-scripted 'recommendation' found at the foot of the page on one of those infomercials you see at the back of the Radio Times.

Anyway, as I say, I like THE CLIPPER, and I do appreciate the chocolate lime afterwards - but just think it's a bit expensive. So, on balance, I'm prepared to let it pass and not make a big deal about THE CLIPPER.

A. Mills,

Porchester.

Stop F...tting & sucking your teeth

Bring your selves up Sydenham way. George runs the shonkiest looking gem of a barbershop on Kirkdale, it's the black & silver one by the zebra crossing.

He cut mine & my sons hair for ?18 quid, he's a proper old school turkish barber, neat, quick and accurate. Small talk optional, but a good barber in the proper tradition he'll even thread your eyebrows & flame the hairs in your ears ( how cool's that). He's been on my doorstep but I snootily overlooked him for years, my mistake but glad i found him now.

"Hail to George"

Five different places on Lordship Lane. Plus a cut at The Clipper. And I'll assume at least two cuts up in Hampstead, seeing as you "for ages you kept travelling back up". That's a lot of haircuts in seven months.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt - assuming you like to keep your hair nice and neat - I've had my hair cut there a few times, and I think it's fine, but it's just a basic cut... nothing wrong with it, but nothing to shout about either.

Well, call me a cheapskate, but ?14.50 is way too much for a hair cut, regardless of the beer or convesation.

I go to the place in Peckham Rye in the arcade, where the number 12 bus heads towards Dulwich.

It is ?5.00 for a good haricut and no messing about, done in about 10 mins max. Suits me fine, and at a good price.

Each to their own I guess though...

Had a look at the Clipper website and there aren't any pictures of haircuts on it! Not a good sign. A bit like a restaurant website with no menus, or a website for a shop with no stock on it.

So your plug has backfired a bit Jimi, at least for me.

Signs of a good haircut:

They use a straight razor at some point.

They don't talk to you unless you talk to them.

It costs no more than ?12; ideally less than ?10.

Anyone know of anywhere in ED that passes muster? I usually go to the Clipper but... meh. Their cuts have been OK at best. Tried Roche a couple of times - one cut was OK but the other was so awful I probably won't go back. Have yet to give the new place on LL a go, but I'm due another cut soon.

Jimi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just thought i would put this up for any gents in

> east dulwich wanting to get a decent haircut.

> Having tried a number of the hairdressers in the

> area since moving here last year i have today

> finally found a decent one for guys.

>

> The Clipper on North Cross road, the guys are

> friendly, really chatty, and do a great job of

> cutting your hair. All for only ?14.50.

>

> So for any guys not happy with the usual poor

> service and bad manners from the many salons in

> town, have a look at the below link.

>

> http://www.theclipper.co.uk

If Simon Cowell ever starts a show called Britain's Got Sockpuppets, you're a shoo-in for the final.

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Stop F...tting & sucking your teeth

>

> Bring your selves up Sydenham way. George runs the

> shonkiest looking gem of a barbershop on Kirkdale,

> it's the black & silver one by the zebra

> crossing.

>

> He cut mine & my sons hair for ?18 quid, he's a

> proper old school turkish barber, neat, quick and

> accurate. Small talk optional, but a good barber

> in the proper tradition he'll even thread your

> eyebrows & flame the hairs in your ears ( how

> cool's that). He's been on my doorstep but I

> snootily overlooked him for years, my mistake but

> glad i found him now.

>

> "Hail to George"

Is he the one on the corner of Kirkdale and Sydenham Park? I went in there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, ?10 for a cut I'm really pleased with. Nice and quick, not OTT on the chat. Nice fella.