I'm liking President Obama more and more

Maurice

Quote from his speech this week to the NAACP.

President Obama delivered a fiery sermon to black America on Thursday night, warning black parents that they must accept their own responsibilities by ?putting away the Xbox and putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour,? and telling black children that growing up poor is no reason to get bad grades.

?No one has written your destiny for you,? he said, directing his remarks to ?all the other Barack Obamas out there? who might one day grow up to be president. ?Your destiny is in your hands, and don?t you forget that. That?s what we have to teach all of our children! No excuses! No excuses!?

Perhaps but hardly an excuse if he did. Assuredly past generations did, but each were aspirational and took personal responsibility to make life better for their children. We lack such a culture in the UK. We always start with the premise that it's the Governments fault, if not the wealthy.

Hmmm,I agree with you that there is a bit of a blame culture, and some people need to take more responsibility. However, I parent can raise their child in all the right ways, but if they live on a rough estate, it is still going to be difficult to keep them away from the temptation to go off the rails.

Good on Obama .

Now ?putting away the Xbox and putting our kids to bed at a reasonable hour,? is right up my street, but how about not having the silly game thing in the first place, even better banning them forever for children & adults ?

Please address all correspondence to:

woofmarkthedoghasthisnotcausedtroublebeforewhenyouraisedthisidea@theeastdulwichforum.co.uk