Apollo Moon Landing: Giant Leap or Giant Hoax?

HAL9000

I am unsure.. I tend to think it was a bit of a hoax but dont feel I can really say that without any proof.. Only thing I would note is that it is amazing that we havent been back nor any other country which I find quite surprising..

Strawbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Only thing I would note is that it is

> amazing that we havent been back nor any other

> country which I find quite surprising..

Hardly surprising.. there's absolutely nothing there.

There was nothing there on the first visit.

Nor the second visit.

Nor the third visit.

Nor the fourth.

Or the fifth.

Not even the sixth.

"Hardly surprising.. there's absolutely nothing there.

There was nothing there on the first visit.

Nor the second visit.

Nor the third visit.

Nor the fourth.

Or the fifth.

Not even the sixth."

Not to mention it cost a fair few (ahem) bob

It's a bit like turning up on the day and buying a ticket by train to Fort William. It's extortionately expensive, it takes ages and when you get there you know you have to come back, but you are also pretty sure you won't be doing that again...

Oh my has the Maudsley had a breakout overnight? I must go lock the garden gate again.

For those of us alive and aware in 1969, we know what it meant to the world, which, given the events of 1968 particularly, was in a horrible state. It was the one item of news that was hopeful and full of possibilities.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Mind blowing achievement but no giant leap (how

> have we progressed because if it?)

>

Even a fool knows you can't reach the stars, but that doesn't stop a wiseman from trying.

*Bob* dad set 'Devon' up in his shed

Actually, Apollo was the name of the mission, wasn't it? So the "Apollo 11 Moon Landing" seems perfectly correct to me!

I don't see why it would be a hoax, it terms of technology it certainly would have been possible at the time. It actually looks quite simple compared to modern unmanned missions. Countries have generally cut back on space exploration, because it's very expensive, and there's no real benefit. The moon landing must have cost an absurd amount of money, but I guess it made sense at the time in the context of the cold war.

we I just mean as humans. the aussies are too busy going to the beach! he he

???? Wrote:

> Amazing.

>

> Only contraversial among conspiracy theory nuts

> which I thought we had few of on here

>

> Strawbs - I thibk there was more than one and

> 'we'?- I thought you were an aussie

It's a bit like turning up on the day and buying a ticket by train to Fort William. It's extortionately expensive, it takes ages and when you get there you know you have to come back, but you are also pretty sure you won't be doing that again...

Except Fort William has Ben Nevis on its doorstep with fantastic climbing in sumer and winter plus what used to be a brilliant chippy - staffed by a Chinese family with broad Glaswegian accents. Their Black Pudding or Haggis supper (deep fried & battered BP / Haggi + lashing of chips) were great after a day's climbing.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Mind blowing achievement but no giant leap (how

> have we progressed because if it?)

Maurice has already touched on it, and he was around at the time, so knows more than me. I'd say, in an abstract way, that the positive feeling of anything is possible, probably did represent a leap for mankind. I'd have loved to have been alive sitting watching that on the telly (in the pub).

Indeed and a giant leap. It is still too early to say how we've advanced from it. In the great span of time, a few decades is nothing. We've made it to space and from there the universe is our oyster. And in between we've made a number of further advancements to planets.

The hope thing I get...but "We've made it to space and from there the universe is our oyster. And in between we've made a number of further advancements to planets.".. I don't get at all

The fact is we seem to be able to conquer technical problems but logistically we are as useless as we were back in the cave days. When we have a more equitable system on this planet, when we don't need to lie to go to war, when we don't have millions upon millions in poverty.. then I will say we are making giant leaps.

Until then it's just rich boys and toys. Effectively

I'm not immune to the excitement tho. I was born in the year of the moon landings but when the space shuttle launched, our little school in Ireland were all taken to the canteen and allowed to watch it on TV. It is excitement, it does make a young mind think anything is possible. But then that same young mind thought he could play for Arsenal so what did he know...