Si Mangia Italian restaurant....

Mick Mac

Si Mangia

Went there for the first time on Saturday night and we thought the food was good. But overall the experience was just an ok one.

The food was very good but not great. It seems to do the basics well. There is a lot of fish in the starter menu, prawns, calcmari and scallops and a lot of chicken *too much maybe) on the main menu. No veal and only one meat dish on the mains menu being fillet steak (not counting the sausage dish). I had the calves liver pate for starter and meatballs with fettuccini for main, both were good. A bottle of Chianti was ?21 which was fine.

Unfortunately what was bad was it had two huge and noisy tables in the main restaurant, with about 15-20 people on each, one of which was a 50th birthday, so it was incredibly noisy. We had lots of happy birthday singing and the lights dimmed for a birthday cake to be presented, all a bit tacky.

Also I was sitting under a speaker which played a whole Bryan Adams best of album the whole time we were there, and played it loud. Run to you, Anything I do etc, all his 80s/90s hits. Surely something more Italian would set the Italian restaurant scene better.

If I were to try it again I'd probably try it midweek and hope to get a quiet night to experience it in a different light, but unfortunatley it seems to see itself as a party place on a Saturday night.

But it was absolutely jammed so why would they want to change?

Mic Mac - Si Mangia usually gets a good write up here as a fair, middle priced, local eaterie. A search would reveal the full range of opinion.

My family and I use it regularly, not as a destination or special place but for good food, sensibly priced with friendly service. In my experience your noisy visit would be a one off.

Yes MP - they were completely fully booked so as far as running a successful business they are doing everything right. I have nothing negative about Si Mangia apart from the music and the parties on Saturday night. As I said I would recommend a week night visit rather than a Saturday night, I have only been once but will be going again soon prob for lunch with the children.

I had gone to a central London Italian for lunch on Friday and had a different Italian dining experience. It was small, little circular tables, white linen tablecloths, elderly Italian gentlemen serving. It was a little like the restaurants in the Godfather movies. If anyone wants a recommendation for an Italian in London its Biagi's Upper Berkeley Street in Marylebone. It's been around a long time. It has an independent feel to it and is not expensive. So perhaps my expectations were a bit high after that.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No veal and only one meat dish on the mains menu

> being fillet steak (not counting the sausage

> dish). I had the calves liver pate for starter and

> meatballs with fettuccini for main...

Mick, what on earth did they make your meatballs out of?

You do, you do. Sorry, am in a sleep-deprived faint hysteria today and was just making myself laugh, for which I apologise.

You are quite correct, pasta is not officially a main.

Were they nice meatballs? I like meatballs a lot and if they're of suitable quality, may venture down there (once I've been proactive enough to look up where it is).