Dragons' Den - The 'one' shop

jaybee82

I'd like to pitch a business idea to you, the Dragons of East Dulwich...something that has annoyed me for some time.

Its a common problem; you go into Sainsbury's, see something you like the look of and want to buy. For the purpose of this pitch, its a jar of Loyd Grossman Bolognese cooking sauce. Not sure why, it just is. Now, I want this sauce but there's only one of me so I don't need a family size jar...and there's no smaller option. Annoying? Intensely.

Well, my idea is a shop that sells things in 'ones' or measurements for one person. Want one cigarette? Fine. One toilet roll? No problem. You can then buy the quantity you want rather than have it dictated to you. Less waste in the bin, less packaging, cheaper price. Everyone's a winner.

I need about 150 grand of investment to set up my first 'One' shop in East Dulwich. Any questions? Hit me.

PS: This is not a rant about being single. Its a genuine business opportunity. I'm also obliged by law to say that this is NOT pyramid selling.

Jaybee,

on a more serious note - did you make sure that you actually can sell all the items individually? Especially Bolognese Sauce I am thinking that you have to abide by Hygiene standards etc.

And selling things loose also means that you have to provide the packaging. All in all the items will be more expensive - i.e. two spoonful of Bolognese Sauce bought from you would be more expensive than bying a jar, using a third and throwing the rest away...and therefore I am out, because I don't think that people are prepared to pay more to get a smaller package.

I think possibly Jabee might sell just smaller jars of the sauce (but happy to be corrected)..

My partner's nan is constantly banging on about this subject so from the OAP demographic I think you would be on to a winner plus lighter for them to get home..

Not sure I'm feeling the 'scoop as much as you want' concept...sounds a bit too much like a Pizza Hut buffet. Its going to be on the Lane so it needs to maintain a bit of 'ponceyness'. Maybe the sauce was a bad example, but I think once manufacturers are seeing things selling in ones they'd be only too happy to develop jars for one person.

Oh, and since you asked its 50p a condom. 60p for Ribbed/Flavoured.

Dont ever consider the BOGOF option (buy one get one free)

342 is a much better concept. Especially over a wide range of products.

How many times do you just want to buy ONE thing and not TWO (even tho the second is free)? "yes miss/mr shop assistant I am aware I can get two of these but I only have space in my I Luv ED bag for one" *sighs*

BOGOF options suit ED well. So do the large pots of sauces and economy sizes due to the high number of families in the area. Not sure about a 'one' shop store because of this. Give the Dragons a go though. i'm sure they will give you a good grilling, jaybee.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you really want to spend all day selling

> spoonfuls of toothpaste and single tabs to OAPs

> out of a back street corner shop?

its more likely to be single sterodents, and there,s likely to be a demand and a fair mark-up as well, and for that reason i,d like to make you an offer.

24 posts on the thread, MacRoban, and of them I count one at most that you might consider insulting to the 'old of East Dulwich', and even that one is perhaps a stretch. Am I missing something? If you want people to change their behaviour, you might have to be more specific in your commentary.