Secure bike storage?

Pandora

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to store bikes at home. We have a fairly large back yard, but it's completely accessible from the street with no way of locking it. We've left a bike out there locked to some railings for a couple of weeks and it stayed there, but I still get nervous, not to mention the rust potential.

Currently we have four bikes dotted around the house (two under the stairs, two others in bedrooms) which isn't ideal but works ok. We don't have anywhere that we could put those wall hanging jobbies up which is a shame.

I've been looking at big metal sheds to go outside, which seem to cost round about ?500, or I've found you can hire lockers from Bikeaway (like the ones outside ED station) for ?130 a year, which as it's a rented house is an option.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas!

Cheers.

I catered for a couple this year who had an ingenious rack system rigged up in their utility room that enabled 2 adult bikes and 2 kiddies bikes to be kept up and out of the way when not in use...cant find it anywhere online though. Sorry I couldnt have been more help. M.

There are indeed some very clever systems out there for storing bikes inside, but the way our house is built there just isn't anywhere for the bikes to go! Current plan is to invest in some massive motorcycle locks and a waterproof cover...