Redundancy

Narnia

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience of this as it will happen to me in 3 months. Do you sign on and be told you can't receive any benefit until every last penny you have is gone? Do you deny having any pennies at all? What do you do if you don't have another job to go to?

I am pretty sure it is the case that you can't claim job seekers allowance if you have a redundancy payment or savings above a specific amount. I can't remember what the amount is but it is around ?16,000 I think. I would say this, being a risk averse lawyer, but lying about your savings or redundancy payment probably isn't a good idea. It is very easy indeed to check up on you, and you'll find it much harder to get a job with a criminal record for fraud!

Take a look at direct.gov.co.uk for more information - there are several types of help available and several different thresholds for payments so its worth looking into a bit more.

Legalbeagle is right in that if you have savings in excess of ?16,000 then you wont be entitled to any assistance. I've been told that if you declare that you have a mortgage then they'll carry out more indepth background checks on you compared to someone that rents.

Sorry, BBW and LB but this is not correct. If Declan claims contribution-based Job Seekers Allowance (due to his previous employment) his savings are not taken into account.

Only when this expires and moves onto income-based JSA will savings and other incomes be assessed.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry, BBW and LB but this is not correct. If

> Declan claims contribution-based Job Seekers

> Allowance (due to his previous employment) his

> savings are not taken into account.

>

> Only when this expires and moves onto income-based

> JSA will savings and other incomes be assessed.

Absolutely, I was just about to say the same...I think that the contributions-based JSA (as opposed to means-tested JSA) only lasts for 6 months.

Sorry about your situation Declan...my hubby is also in your situation and he is a very sad little bunny at present.:(. Hope you find something soon - BEFORE the pennies run out.

oh poor you, well i got hit by the redundancy bat back in April! you have to sign on anyway to keep paying your NI contributions. its all a bit of a mind field really. I just sorta went in they gave me a bool I was sent home to fill it in. basicly if you have saving over 16k then you get no Job seekers allowence(?60 every 2 weeks)and they also take in to consideration your living marital status,example: so if your better half is earning mega bucks then you get didly squat as they can support you. If your redundancy payout is over the 16k then id go in there sign the book for your NI contributions then run out shouting up yours im off to the caribbean sod your bloody JSA and poxy Job Club its rum punches for meeeee!!

Just think now you can start again perhaps even a career change...im currently finding myself and contemplating making hats out of pipe cleaners and selling them on Northcross Rd.

Good Luck

madmum queen of the arts and crafts

I really don't know what I would do in your situation declan. If I were in London I'd like to take you for a beer. I think you could do worse than making it along to the forum drinks next week. It might be a good idea to state what you do on this thread you never know some well connected forumite might come across something suitable.good luck with your search for employment and hopefully you will look back on this in a few years as a blip. Good luck friend.