In praise of reggae...

????

...I know Jah's a fan and, I beleive Tillie, and I suspect Reggie...but for me 1970s reggae is almost unbeatable. Share your reggae brethren,jah.

to start, and as I saw him at the weekend, Children of Israel - Horace Andy

No, I've not been on the ganga

love this clip quids

look at the expression on the poor engineers face

hes thinking 'what the hell is he trying to tell me'

one of us has to stay straight to get this session finished

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saw Lee Scratch Perry at Meltdown in 2005?...as

> mad as a box of frogs and a genius.

>

> Just to remind us how nutty he is....

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6AZIVjbgqU

Hmm, don't get me started.

As a child of the early '70s, I was happily suckled on the lyrical offerings of everybody from Yellowman, U-Roy, The Mighty Diamonds, Alton Ellis, 'Sir' Dennis Brown, Sugar Minnott, Horace Andy, Gregory Isaccs, Ken Boothe, the list goes on.

I still have most of the aformentioned artists on vinyl too. Oh time to slap on the 1210s, look what you've gone and done! I'm getting excited. Nurse! Sorry I tend not to get out much...

cupid_stunt Wrote:

> As a child of the early '70s, I was happily

> suckled on the lyrical offerings of everybody from

> Yellowman, U-Roy, The Mighty Diamonds, Alton

> Ellis, 'Sir' Dennis Brown, Sugar Minnott, Horace

> Andy, Gregory Isaccs, Ken Boothe, the list goes

> on.

>

What about Big Youth, I Roy, Eastwood and Saint (Shame and Scandal in de Family)? Great Stuff!

Ladymuck, we are on the same page, dancing to the same riddim.

The list is truly endless. The Coxsone/ Studio 1 era spawned a generation of peerless vocalists that the world will never see the like of again. In truth it's an immense and largely unreported slice of the UK's contemporary musical history. But the truth will out!

RANT OVER

So how did you get bitten by the bug?

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> I went to a cracking night at the Hootananny a

> good few weeks back. Dave Roddigan on the decks,

> jerk chicken outside and a big sweaty mass

> skanking inside. Perfect.

I can't believe it - David Roddigan STILL around...he must be about 110 years old! "David...you BAD...I man GLAD"...remember that jingle? No? ....you are probably too young then...

cupid_stunt Wrote:

> Ladymuck, we are on the same page, dancing to the

> same riddim.

Ya Man!

>

>

> So how did you get bitten by the bug?

Well, I attended a predominantly "black" secondary school in Croydon...it was a case of "if you can't beat em - join em"...I had NO problem "joining"...and then, a short while after leaving school I went off and married this delicious black man (to the utter horror of my bigoted father!)...best decision of my life!

How about YOU - how did YOU get into it? (Every minute detail please!)

Jah Lush Wrote:

ribbit!

:))Oh my Giddy Aunt, I haven't heard "RIBBIT" in YEARS...takes me back...

What about this one: "There are 5,000 versions of dis riddim sir...well thank you Mr. Smiley"...remember it? NO? Too young!

AUGUSTUS PABLO...AUGUSTUS PABLO...no-body has mentioned AUGUSTUS PABLO...to my mind he was absolutely UNIQUE with that little mouth organ thingy he used to play...his version of "Too Late to Turn Back Now" STILL sends shivers all over my body when I hear it...that's it, he's going on tomorrow (or later today rather - have just seen the time!). Wow this trip down memory lane has been very therapeutic. Time to hit the sack I think (as opposed to "Hit the Road Jack" - Big Youth!).

Goodnight all you 70s reggae lovers (incidentally, don't you think that today's reggae sucks - it has no SOUL, no FEELING, and is rather TUNELESS - in my humble opinion).

LM