Comments on dental implants, please.

mlteenie

I await a dental appointment following up the loss of a tooth (I will spare the details). The price of an implant is set by the dentist and I gather the going fee is around ?2k.

I started reading about dental tourism on Martin's Money Saving Expert website, and it seems that Budapest is a well-known destination for those who can't or won't pay for the UK prices. There an implant is around a third of the UK price and the quality is supposedly the same. If you want to check it out Google 'Hungary dentist' or similar. One site I have been looking at is 'Kreativ Dental', who even have a UK office organising packages to Hungary, it is so popular.

Has anyone here had an implant? Has anyone been abroad for one, or similar treatment?

Your views are of great interest to me!

The best place for dental tourism is the far east.

One of my foremen went to the dentist in the U.K and was told that the work he needed would cost around ?3000. He went to Singapore to a walk in surgery and had what would've cost ?3000 done for ?80. Even when you take into account the cost of getting there the savings are still obvious. The condition of the surgery was very hygenic and the work was carried out with the same professionalism and care that you'd find in the U.K.

I wouldn't go to Hungary if I were you as there are people who are still walking around with wooden teeth. That's communism for you.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well personally never went to Hungary that to for dental implants, but my cousin have had his implants from there only 2 years before, but don't know the dentist he visited. Till now he is going well with those implants but needs some maintenance.

And now I am in USA so will have dental implant surgery here only!

I have not had any implants done, but I regularly go to Hungary as it is where my wife hails from. She is from a little town on the Austrian border and her town, Mosonmagyarovar has literary hundreds of dental clinics as the folks come from Austria and Germany to get their pegs done at bargain rates, the town is less than hour away from Bratislava and Vienna airports. I would not worry so much about their inability to spell the eclectic English language, Try Hungarian and then complain!!!

• 2 years later...

robbin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmmm, you need some expert advice on integtration

> into the bone... let me think for a moment...

Ah, the great mind at work, a fascinating subject & amazing thing ;-) Einstein etc

Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Dental School is on your doorstep in Camberwell. I would imagine this kind of procedure is commonplace and is the kind of thing that Trainee Dental Practitioners need to learn under supervision.

Under a similar Training regimen I had my myopia corrected at Moorfields Hospital as part of a research/training programme.

I work at King's and get on very well with my counterpart in the GSTTKCH Dental School so I am sure I can find some information for you. Please PM me if that helps.

HMG should include implants under the NHS for middle aged patients to reflect the dreadful drill and fill attitude of dentists in my youth. It was beneficial to intervene rahther than promote prevention perhaps as late as the 1980s so you have a whole generation with fragile molars. Jealous of all of you under 30 with far better dental hygeiene when you were growing up.

Hats of to Kings BTW for a lovely restoration of my daughter's teeth, that were overcrowded and to my own dentist for saving at least two of my teeth, when others would have extracted leaving the decision of a gap, a far from acceptable bridge, or the expensive but only proper alternative of dental implants.

Drill and fill is not an urban myth; the state once paid for dentists to have a very lucrative lifestyle by carrying out unecessary treatment, they get this from private patients now but at least there is a choice rather than coming out of our taxes.

And the other thing that is not an urban myth is successive governments not wanting to grasp the nettle and push all water companies to put flouride in the water. The most easily avoided public health issue.