louisiana

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm chilling down Weatherspoons later, after a

> game of Bingo, naturellement.

>

> Interested Louis?

Will it be a full house in there Tony? >:D<

not this year ... have been in the past , was there in the early days blah blah blah when it was a monthly sunday gathering in the union chapel and its annex rooms .... back in the day ... I remember when all this was fields etc ... and the old money ...pete lawrence was still in short trousers etc

Only been once and about the only thing I enjoyed was Andrew Cronshaw.

Rest was boring.

Might have been more enjoyable if I was into something other than alcohol, but I'm not :))

Only went cos I got a comp :))

Music-wise, give me V any day. Sure it's a generic line-up, but most people will find at least a couple of bands they like. But I heard that it's full of lager boys and annoying teenagers.

I strongly suspect that the Big Chill lineup is largely comprised of amateur musicians - nothing wrong with that in theory, but I feel a bit ripped off paying full price for the ticket. There are usually one or two token chart acts, as well as a couple of washed up one-hit-wonders trudging round the summer circuit. And a load of guys you've never heard of twiddling with synths, laptops and turntables. I briefly looked at this year's lineup, and the only name which jumped out at me was Max Romeo. The people there are generally a good bunch though (even if they are smug, guardian-reading, pseudo eco-warriors) and it's a nice size for a festival.

I disagree Jeremy ... The Big Chill had a concept , to my knowledge the only concept V has is money money money and more money ... among those " guys youv'e never heard of twiddling with synths ,laptops and turntables " there are gems , also the last time I went to the Big Chill the bill was really diverse ... what other festival can you see acts as different as Martin Carthy , Scritti Polliti , The Transit Kings still within reasonable walking distance of each other

peace brother .

:)

Hey flapjack, if you like the fest, that's great - and you are obviously not alone! Was just stating my personal opinion. One man's gem is another man's turd.

I like the concept and the atmosphere of the festival, but not so much the music. Personally I preferred Bestival, which is still a medium-size festival, but has a better mix of known bands vs smaller acts.

Not been to Bestival but know many who have and not sure it still has the special magic that it clearly had in its early years. And it was a mudbath of pre drainage Glasto proportions. There's been too many festivals set up I reckon and they can't and won't all survive.

That said I have just found that legendary Welsh rappers Goldie Lookin' Chain (hits: "Your Missus is a nutter") have bagged a slot at V and I plan to try to join them...backstage that is, rather than on it.

Sorry I bridle at the "Chilling concept" specially a "Big Chill" See not one for that type of organised fun, I love a crowd at a match but dancin' round a bottle of tepid Chardonnay wearing crocs and a rain mack.Meh

I'd rather juggle sushi knives in a strobe lit room, thank you very much !

W**F

jamster - I don't think it's a strong claim, or an insult to the artists - plenty of talented musicians can't make a living from their music. I was just pointing out that while their artist fees are lower than other fests, the ticket is a similar price.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Music-wise, give me V any day. Sure it's a generic

> line-up, but most people will find at least a

> couple of bands they like. But I heard that it's

> full of lager boys and annoying teenagers.

>

> I strongly suspect that the Big Chill lineup is

> largely comprised of amateur musicians

Like Orbital

Or David Byrne (Talking Heads). In a tutu.

Or Max Romeo

Or John Cooper Clarke

Hmm, not exactly amateur.

(Even L Cohen has played BC, and that's as mainstream as you can get.)

- nothing

> wrong with that in theory, but I feel a bit ripped

> off paying full price for the ticket. There are

> usually one or two token chart acts,

Chart acts? I see where you're going... Yes, they even have Radio 1 DJ's. As if anyone cared. Really, if you are concerned by what 15-year-olds are listening to, then BC is definitely not for you. Although there was a little too much dubstep for my liking (soooo I heart 2007)

as well as a

> couple of washed up one-hit-wonders trudging round

> the summer circuit.

None of those, I'm afraid. Go to Glastonbury or V for that. different plan entirely. Have you been to BC? It's the one place in the entire festie scene (bar Glade) that is *free of landfill indie*. Yay.

And a load of guys you've

> never heard of twiddling with synths, laptops and

> turntables.

Wot, like Pete Lawrence? (Castle Stage, 1pm Sunday) Well, he did found BC, 15 years ago.

Or perhaps Orbital?? Masses of footage already on YouTube from this.

I briefly looked at this year's

> lineup, and the only name which jumped out at me

> was Max Romeo.

Cor, its clear you keep up with what's happening in the world of music if your one point of reference is Max Romeo (Chase the Devil, circa 1976) :)

The people there are generally a

> good bunch though (even if they are smug,

> guardian-reading, pseudo eco-warriors) and it's a

> nice size for a festival.

Far, far from being eco-warriors. Go to Big Green (if they can bloody get past the police and ACPO and Mendip Council) or Sunrise Festie for that.