Thriller and Horror fans

bigbadwolf

I personally prefer thrillers and horror movies over the rom-coms and teen movies. In my formative years at secondary school me and my friends went through a phase of watching films that were banned by the BBFC. These were usually heinous cannibal ferox movies made on a budget and cult classics such as Clockwork orange (I saw a copy smuggled back from Denmark)

Anyone else a morbid fan of disturbing films?

Used to love the Peter Jackson comedy horrors, Bad Taste, and Braindead!

Was in to the classic slasher horrors like Elm Street when I was early teens. I much prefer psychological thrillers though.

Thought the first Saw was very very clever, and a bit disturbing. Have gotten worse since then, now they have bigger budgets, so care less about writing a good script, and rely on effects and gore more.

Absolutely not!

Right up there with "Tattoos" on my "Not in this particular lifetime list" though I did once see Clockwork Orange on a copy which was copy smuggled into The Peckham Odeon, which is now where Harris Academy, Peckham is, opposite the, er, eating establishments where people can buy their, er, food...

Has to be food, what else would they sell there? Silly me...:-

"The Orphanage" is pretty disturbing - no reliance on gore, all quality suspense and thriller tools employed.

One of the best films in a long while (spanish with english subs though)

The scene where the clairvoyent goes through the house wired up to the mic and the nightvision camera had me cr@pping my pants!

nice twist at the end too.

I saw A Clockwork Orange at the cinema, had to spark up an oily rag to look older as it was an 'X' and I wasn't yet eighteen.

Wasn't it better going to see 'X' films rather than the age tagged ones? You felt like you'd really achieved something and that 'X' rated was going to be quite the adult experience. The first 'X' I saw was The Abominable Dr Phibes, I was quite concerned that it woild be so frightening I might show myself up in front of my mates. Anyone who's seeen it will realise that there is as much chance of faiting at a screening of TADP as there is of hearing a good song at a Kasabian concert. But we knew little of 'camp' in those days and for some time I was under the impression that all xes were in the same mould. I was prevented from gaining entry to another 'X' Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde (I obviously had a nose for the quitsch at the time) at The Elephant & Castle ABC while two of my mates got in. GUTMANS. I gestured wordlessly to my sparked-up oily rag but to no avail the commissionaire was having none of it.

The film that made a great impression on me at a youngish age was Huh Hush Sweet Charlotte which was on late at night one Christmas time.

Joseph Cotten and Olivia DeHavilland plot to drive Bette Davis mad as she thinks she murderwed her late husband. There's one scene where a door slowly opens and the widening beam of light reveals a meat cleaver and a severed head. Fair put the willies up me I can tell you. Southern gothic I suppose it was, unless it was film noir. Good and scary though in a non-gory suspenseful way.

I was quite the horror buff between about 12 and 16. Then kind of fell out wih the genre, though it did go throgh a bit of a lull. Sixth sense helped kick off an interest in Hollywood and the success of the eastern horrors helped too.

Looking forward to seeing that Swedish vampire flck, and spain has had an an irregular but quality line in horror for many many years.

For the record romero and raimi were my boyhood heroes.

I'm not a fan of horror or thrillers at all (but spookily enough this exact subject came up talking to Lady MacGabhann yesterday) I just don't relate to the pleasure in being scared. I know lots of people enjoy the thrill of being firghtened, but for me being scared is just being scared, unplesant and oppressive and not at all thrilling.

They give me nightmares too. :-$

Yes, I'm a great big fraidy cat and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

It's not just films either, I'm just not a thrill-seeker. Bungy jumping, white water rafting, skydiving, all those adrenaline-y things, I just don't get why they're fun.

The Descent was pretty good I thought

Orphanage I was really looking forward to but it underwhelmed slightly

Audition was pretty scary too

In the 80s I was a big fan of Fear magazine which took it's subject seriously and didn't dwell on the gore element as so many other mags did

Incidentally did I hear right that Clive Barker is re-directing a new version of Hellraiser?