Wireless Burglar Alarms

telegramsam

I had to have a burglar alarm fitted last year and was recommended to go with the wired version by a family friend who is in the security business (albeit in Scotland so wasn't going to get the job). He had a variety of reasons which I can't recall in detail unfortunately but made sense at the time. I got mine fitted by Classic Security Systems who are based in Dulwich and it was surprisingly reasonable including a yearly checkup.

Yale premium got a good write up (via google!) -all comments came from people who had installed it themselves (and then had done so for many neighbours!!)..not sure I feel comfortable installing my own and an alarm company I called not surprisingly felt they (wireless alarms)were not 'useful' etc..and had no interest. I know you get what you pay for etc. Will keep looking.

Thanks to Applespider for the ref-

Sam

I've been looking into this recently too.

Not sure there is a consensus on this. Some companies are happy to install wireless alarms and claim that they are far less prone to false alarms than they used to be (something to do with the frequency of the signal being interfered with by other remote applications). Other companies say they won't install them because they are not as reliable.

You can get wireless alarms that are British Standard compliant and approved by the Police (if you are interested in Police monitoring) - the relevant number is BS6799 Class 6. Apparently the Class 6 is the key part.

Pros and cons are obvious - wireless alarms are aesthetically less intrusive, require less drilling and generally less DIY monkey business and they can be added to quite easily i.e. adding more infra-red sensors, door contacts etc. On the other hand, no one has yet definitively said that they are now just as good, or so close the difference is negligible, as wired systems.

If you are installing an alarm and hoping to see a reduction in your insurance premiums then be aware that not every insurance company will offer a reduction, or if they do it won't be that much of a reduction. Also they can stipulate that it needs to be professionally installed.

My Dad self installed a Yale wireless alarm and seems happy with it, although he is now encountering the insurance company related issues I mention.

My neighbour had one installed and constantly had problems with the sensors falling off which are attached with Velcro. Don't know whether Velcro is standard fixing or just specific to their particular system. With many difficulties over the years they have now discontinued using it.

The system I fitted had no such problems as the pir's were drilled and screwed to the wall.

The greatest disadvantage is having to replace the batteries every few years.

It has worked perfectly since installation which took one day.

I would recommend it to anyone I liked.

Go for it.

If you get any sort of system make shure it's a monitored typ we have had one for about 14 years and are with Controlled LTD The man's name is Simon wheeler 020 8776 6151 it's him and his wife they are SSAIB and are most helpfull.

Bob S