Crystal Palace cinema pledge (planning objection): successful and still open

louisiana

A couple of weeks back, I set up a pledge on Pledgebank to ask people to send in a written objection to a change of use of the former Gala Bingo building (25 Church Road SE19) from cinema to church, when the new owner submits his/her planning application to Bromley Council.

This is just to let everyone on here know that the pledge was successful within days.

As of today there are 28 pledgees, so there are 18 more than required to make it successful. Many thanks to any forumites who've added their names as pledgees.

People are still signing up most days, and if you'd like to add your voice as a pledgee you are free to do so: the pledge remains open until 31 August. When the time comes to send in objections, your own objection only needs to be a sentence long, though you can write an essay if you wish.

If you're concerned about the future of this former cinema, and the possible impact on the neighbourhood of a change of use, there are other actions you can take:

- check out the campaign website

which has lots of useful background information, and resources for campaigners.

- sign the online petition

Add your name to the 3024 signatories already there. There's also a paper petition in some local shops and cafes.

- join the Facebook group

But if you join the Facebook group, please also sign the petition if you feel you can: the Council will look at the numbers signing the petition, not those on the Facebook group!

- Talk to your friends and neighbours about it.

- Write to your political representatives. There are resources on the cinema campaign website to help you do this quickly and easily.

There was a Facebook group created to push for improved facilities and funding for Mayow park in lower Sydenham that certainly encouraged a lot of change. It shared it's successful promotion with Forest hill's se23.com but it certainly proved very useful in securing new swings for the playground as well as a general 'tidy up' of the park.

They do work if done properly.