London Bridge this morning

timtim

Any idea what was going on? Both lanes closed to traffic, many police, fire rescue truck and ambulances.

There were about 20 police and firemen holding up a big screen around the road, so I'm guessing there was body or bodies in there.

Not nice to see on way to work.

When I walked past just after it was a grim scene with around 7 emergency vehicles- a body was being loaded onto the ambulance - and to be honest I felt physically sick at what I saw. Looks like a motorbike heading south (and fast) across the bridge collided with a bus which pulled out in front of him. Rider hit the bus and was then thrown across the central reservation into the path of some cyclists and one or two were hit.

Always have to check for bikes when pulling out - especially fast ones.

Saw that this morning. Chucked off the 40 at LB as it was already closed... walked across on the St Paul's side of the bridge and past the bus with the screens around it... could see through the bus that about 6 paramedics were working on someone and a fireman with a hydraulic lift... possibly to lift the bus/bike off a person??

Yuo could tell from the look on the firemen and policemen's faces that behind that screen lay an awful, awful scene. If they have survived, I wish them a speedy recovery.

And to the woman who was huffing and puffing and calling it a discrace that the bridge was closed and you had to walk 500 yards... I hope you feel ashamed of yourself.

Very relieved to hear that the injuries aren't too severe. Bikes often go over that bridge at ridiculous speeds, something needs to be done about it.

Meanwhile there are some pretty dumb comments on that Evening Standard link... "All those vehicles should be driven underground and the streets for the people. Let the buses and trucks etc have the motorways"...

I'm frankly amazed anyone survived that. It was horrendous from what I saw but looks like all three incredibly have. I love the idea of cycling to work, for my fitness and it's clearly the greenest form of transport but the risks still far outweigh those benefits in my book. If they had a clear and safe cycle route in to the city every day I'd do it - no question. Is that ever likely?

They spent loads of money to accomodate the bendy bus with all the extended bus stops, but cyclists get the rawest deal in this town.

Cycling has increased enormously in the last two years and I can only think it is because they don't pay road tax, or they are not hounding their MP's nearly enough.

A cyclist rally to block whitehall, or the 'house of common thieves' for a day, or to block all bridges, or the busiest road in the capital to point out to those expense fiddling layabouts, how many cyclists are risking their necks on a daily basis.

When would the most appropriate day be?

How would it best be organized, something on the lines of the liverpool street station advert re-enactment, when a quarter of a million showed up and brought the place to a standstill?

Thanks for your concern Steve T - just about as much chance of getting crushed in the morning stampede over London Bridge amongst desk bound zombie pedestrians I think. But cycling is not the safest is it?

SCSB - I work in the Monument / Bishopsgate area mainly.

Sometimes when I see the way motorcyclists behave, I think to myself, not that they deserve to get hurt, but that they really would've deserve much sympathy. Obviously not all of them, before anyone jumps on me, but some should have their licenses taken away.

MrB - My route is down Dunstans Road, along Peckham Rye, down Rye Lane, Left onto Peckham High Street then an immediate right into that wee side street (is it Melow Road?), then a quick bunny hop across the pavement onto Sumner Road, then up Sumner Road, left onto Trafalgar Avenue.... then left onto Old Kent Road (this is the busiest part but you're only on it for about 500 yards, and you can avoid if you want), then right onto Duntan Road, then left onto Grange Road, then right onto Tower Bridge road, over the bridge and then you're in the city... for you getting to Monument would be easy from there.

5 miles door to door for me, 30 mins at an easy pace. And a fairly quiet traffic route.

I've only been doing it for about 6 weeks but it is great. Saves ?50 a month on bus travel, saves sitting on a bus for 2 hours + every day, and gets a little exercise.

All that and I've only been hit by a car once :))

A cyclist rally to block whitehall, or the 'house of common thieves' for a day, or to block all bridges, or the busiest road in the capital to point out to those expense fiddling layabouts, how many cyclists are risking their necks on a daily basis.

Good grief I hate people who think that bringing an entire city to a halt just to publicise their own pet peeve is a good idea. Selfish, selfish barsteward.