What is College Road like? (Lounged)

keluar

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am currently house hunting and really enjoy dulwich.

I am wondering whether anyone lives near college road or know about college road..?

I thought it looks really secluded to other community but look rather porsche.

I wonder how safe the sydenham hill station is? especially at night?

I also noticed a big council estate at the other end of college road..

Are most residents on college road just pay for the tollgate when driving?

I am particularly interested in breakespeares on college road (due to limited budget) and wonder whether it is a good choice for a 2 year old to stay? aka. access to school etc?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

davidC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You have a budget and moving to College road

> area...................... WOW.

>

> I know there is a dogging site around there....

> apparently!

Apparently it's on Grange Lane. Or that's what the golfers tell me. (I don't golf, meself.)

I know some guys who used to live in Breakespeares, there was never any trouble. Yes it's quiet, but it's a predominantly upmarket neighbourhood, so not many people just "hanging around".

Not sure about the toll gate, I assumed residents didn't have to pay, but I could be completely wrong.

Thank you for everyone's reply. Very insightful.

Breakespeare is virtually next to syndenham hill station. Given that it is next to it, is college road still part of dulwich or syndenham hill? I am a little put off by the ?1 toll charge each way.

75p each way does sound like a lot, but hopefully you wouldn't need to drive much as it's so close to the station. And of course you can always drive via the other end of College Road.

It is definitely in West Dulwich, the postcode is SE21 (not that it should really matter).

Hi Keluar , it is Wst Dulwich SE21 . Grew up on the Kingswood estate on the other side of it, and my mum used to clean for posh people on College Road . College Road has always been very nice . I think the estate has gone down hill though , according to my mum who still lives there, but Dulwich Wood nursery school is probably one of the best in London. Sydenham Hill train station is like a ghost town at night , very quiet and a bit eerie . College Road would be a very nice place to live .

My best friend lives just off college road and yes it is quiet and leafy but its a pain in the arse public transport wise.. It does have regular (ish) trains to sydenham hill but not as often as east / north dulwich and the station can be a bit dodgy depending on what side of it you exit..

Buses up there are not great.. for my money I wouldnt go there.. and youre right you have to pay the toll unless you live ON college road and then I believe it is free..

my best friend loves it as she has a car and drives everywhere including work but every fri/sat night she is cabbing it to the lane (10.50 each way) for a night out as not much going on up that neck of the woods besides the Mansion (gone severely downhill since the new owners took it on), the Alleyn Head (pretty average) and then the triangle up at gipsy hill (one bar call the black sheep is good).. (I also use to live at gipsy hill - do not live there!)

anyhoo just my thoughts..

No, I live just by the toll gate and it's 75p each way for residents, as Keluar has said. But I've never heard the one about insurance not paying out for accidents on private roads......most of Dulwich is a private road! (I don't drive, so the toll isn't a problem)

There are 4 trains an hr to Vic from Sydenham Hill, but it is deserted at night, and the walk from the platform is quite long, through the woods. That said, I've never had a problem (touchwood). I wouldn't walk on Low Cross Lane (the path opp the station) on my own in the dark, but that's about it.

In terms of pubs, the only ones near are the Alleyns Head, which isn't great, and the Woodhouse. But Crystal Palace is about 20 mins walk, and there are loads :)

I don't know about schools, I'm afraid, and as for the dogging on Grange Lane......I'm off to investigate tonight ;)........(there's not too much nightlife, if you can't beat them, join em!)

PS you get your own family of foxes on the communal gardens in Breakspeare as well

I really like College rd as the houses near the church on the right going up toward Crystal Palace parade look really nice and spacious but I suspect they cost a fortune. I'm not really too keen on the 60/70's chuck ups in Woodhall drive or Great Brownings though.

I find that asking for a levy, no matter how much it is, to use the length of College rd if you live on the Dulwich estate is an utter piss take and would seriously put me off the rd. Even if I don't drive because it's the principle of the thing.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I really like College rd as the houses near the

> church on the right going up toward Crystal Palace

> parade look really nice and spacious but I suspect

> they cost a fortune. I'm not really too keen on

> the 60/70's chuck ups in Woodhall drive or Great

> Brownings though.

>

> I find that asking for a levy, no matter how much

> it is, to use the length of College rd if you live

> on the Dulwich estate is an utter piss take and

> would seriously put me off the rd. Even if I don't

> drive because it's the principle of the thing.

My thought exactly...