FitFlops - Do they work?

Mamma Mia

I do swim and go to the gym from time to time and would love to get a bike but am not a confident rider. As I walk a fair bit I thought wearing FitFlops might be a good top up exercise.

Anyone else overcome the dilemma of being an almost beginner cyclist on London roads?

Yes - me! A year ago I was too scared to ride on London roads, now I go nearly everywhere by bike - including the centre of London. The things that helped me were a lesson from a cycle instructor through Southwark Council (Cycle lesson info), who cycled my commute to work with me, and then going on some long cross London rides with some confident cycling friends. See if you can borrow a bike (I used the work pool bike to start with) and ask someone to cycle along with you for a bit. Also do some cycling when there's no pressure to be anywhere on time, have a pootle around at the weekend. And remember, the beauty of cycling is that if at any point you get nervous or there's a junction you don't think you can handle, you can just hop off and push your bike round it.

No idea about fit flops though, sorry!

Nope. If you don't do any other exercise and only ever wear high high heels, then you might notice aching calves the first time you wear them for any length of time. Otherwise, no.

Having said that, once you get used to the slightly rough toe-pole, they are ridiculously comfortable. Kinda like wearing slippers but as flip flops. I got a pair last year and then a pair of the bronze sequinned ones (that go with more) to wear as regular summer shoes - and I'll be sad when I have to switch to 'sensible' shoes. However, I suspect the tri-weekly gym sessions have more effect on my butt than the Fit Flops :(

Thanks Pandora. Might take the plunge but would need to get a lot more practice cycling without wobbling before I hit the roads. Overcoming the embarrassment of walking the bike to the park for practice would be the first challenge. Perhaps a beginners' cycling course might be the way to go but I guess I would still need to bring my own bike? Anyone have any recommendations for courses?

Thanks for the feedback about FitFlops guys. Won't waste my money although having a pair of flip flops that are as comfortable as slippers is appealing.

Edited to say: Before I get slaughtered by the grammar police is it "practice" or "practise"

OK I have several pairs of Fit-flops and whilst they have made absolutely no difference to my appearance they are THE most comfortable pair of flip flop/sandals/shoes I have every worn...so from a comfort point of view I would definitely recommend buying them.

"Comfortable" shoes are not for everyone, and "Fit flops" make me very uncomfortable indeed, they are about as attractive as Y fronts. They are not a work out. That is a gimmick.

If you want to get fit - take exercise. If you want to tone up lazily, buy a Slendertone belt!

I used a power plate to tone up and lose weight, but I found it difficult to keep all of my wine in my glass with all of the vibration... I can have a nice glass of vino while wearing my Slendertone belt - the ideal solution for me (hic). Exercise is so undignified, all of those obese, wet people in the gym or pounding the pavement in their obscene lycra shorts past my house. It's not for everyone...

Quite right too...

I'm no home fitness expert but I hear the shopping channels swear by these slendercrone belts. Some, such as yourself Hibbs, may find their purse a little light to purchase one. Simply take a weightlifters belt, strap it across your stomach and attach the ends of the belt to the piston heads of a combustion engine.

The results you're looking for can be achieved at about 80 mph.

hibbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK I have several pairs of Fit-flops and whilst

> they have made absolutely no difference to my

> appearance they are THE most comfortable pair of

> flip flop/sandals/shoes I have every worn...so

> from a comfort point of view I would definitely

> recommend buying them.

I have 4 pairs. They are great at relieving lower back pain, hip pain and any pain in the foot area. I know lots of people with Fitflops and they all say the same. They are more comfortable than bare feet and particularly good if you have to stand up a lot, cooking or whatever.