Honor Oak Church

anna_r

Does anyone know what's happening with the development of this church? Scaffolding gone up in the last few days after many months of no action. Anyone talked to the builders or agents about timescales. Can't wait to see what they do with it...the falling down walls and big yellow boards have been an eyesore for too long.

Repeated message from August 2007...

"I?m the third generation of a family who has attended Honor Oak Baptist Church (corner of Forest Hill and Mundania Road) since the 1930s so have a little inside information! The church is being divided vertically in half so at one end there?ll be an area of worship (upstairs), a hall and kitchen (downstairs) and then apartments built at the other end.

The church (as in the congregation) still meets in the hall on Sundays at 11am and 7pm. The hall is also used during the week for various meetings. If you?re interested in knowing more about the church please stop by. The members and congregation of HOBC are certainly glad about the new development and looking forward to having a building which no longer leaks, costs a fortune to heat and has more than one WC!"

For more information on the development see... Manhattan Loft Corporation website. Completion date... unknown but very pleased to see the scaffolding finally going up! The pigeons may soon have to vacate the biggest bird house in SE22!

EDD

• 4 weeks later...
construction is now blazing forward and the development of the 10 flats and new worship space is forecast to be complete late summer 2010. as of mid-sept, the new drainage is complete, roof/guttering is being stripped/repaired, scaffolding and monarflex is up, concrete ground floor should be down in the next few weeks.

• 7 months later...
Hi there, i am thinking of buying an apartment in the Honor Oak Church development and was wondering if you would like to give me an honest appraisal of the area and whether you think it would be a good place to live. I would appreciate you reply so much. Best regards and thanks, Lauren.

It's nice. Quiet. Not a lot round there, but a couple of restaurants and pubs on Forest Hill Road, and ditto in Honor Oak itself. Honor Oak Park has slightly better train service than East Dulwich, I believe.

It really depends on the individual and what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...

I am newly registered on this site. I looked for a photo of the Honor Oak Baptist Church only to find that it is surrounded by yellow boards. I understand that part of the building is going to be apartments.

I was baptised at this church in 1943 and wanted a photo of the building, can anyone tell me if there is a photo of the church before the boarding was put around it.

Regards

Anne