Rugby Vs Football

????

As a student I had a housemate who claimed that rugby was posh and classy and football was common.

He also said that cutting sandwiches straight across was common and triangles were posh...

He killed the house hamster and ran away in the middle of the night leaving several student accounts in the red and a padlocked room full of personal possessions that he'd stolen from other people in the house....

There's a message in there somewhere.

It's funny how Rugby is deemed as 'posh' over here (and I understand why, looking at the history and where it is traditionally played, etc, etc), whereas back in NZ it's the opposite, it's really an 'average mans' sport (although we don't really have a traditional class system), some of the past great All Blacks (in the days before they started getting paid to play) were farmers and the likes who spent their time in between tours back on the farms earning a living.

Personally I'd sooner watch a game of Rugby than Football, but I'm biased, and it seemed that either game has it's fair share of idiots both on and off the pitch.

They?re both essentially one dimensional games for troglodytes. They can both however be good entertainment and quite fun to play.

Soccer is however just a downright fucking embarrassment. The behaviour of people who watch it, the spirit in which it is played and the examples it sets are disgusting.

This is not to say that bad and unsporting things don?t happen in rugby too but to a far lesser degree.

When last did anything even vaguely sporting, which would set a good example for a youngster on how they should conduct themselves as a decent human being, happen in a professional soccer match?

What do you think the chances of rival soccer fans sharing the stand again are? Ever? That in itself is enough to make any person with an even vaguely decent moral framework feel sceptical of the whole thing.

It is in no uncertain terms a foul, national fucking embarrassment.

I will still watch international games but I have no inclination to have anything to do with the slurry pit of professional club football.

Enjoy both. Probably prefer watching football, definitely prefer playing rugby. Beating Australia in the world cup final, watching in a packed CPT at some stupid hour of the morning, was one of the best sporting viewing moments of my life, and no one football moment has topped it, not even Liverpool in the champs league final, although that comes a very close second.

Here's another answer:

Football.

The very utterance of the word conjures up such indescribable emotions within millions of people worldwide. The game is all things to all people. It reduces people to tears, laughter, elation, anger, pride, the whole gamut of emotions ( often during the same game!)(tu)

Undoubtedly, music and cinema and literature are all wonderful but they are not a patch on the "Beautiful game". Football is spontaneous. If a film reduces you to tears, someone has deliberately intended to move you in some way. Likewise with albums and books. With sport there is no script. And football is as good as sport gets.

Football is a wonderful parent. In an age where all television, music and cinema encountered is saccharine-soaked almost to the extent of inducing vomit, football teaches all the major life-lessons in one fell swoop. It prepares a child for failure and profoundly warns that, in life, there isn?t always a happy ending.

Not only does the sport teach one about life, it also acts as a kind of microcosm of life itself. It can be funny (the entire career of Jason Lee), unjust (the 2005 FA Cup Final), sad (the life of George Best), infuriating (the existence of Sven Goran Eriksson) and profound (Eric Cantona).

Clearly, though, its unpredictability is what makes football great.

Football is all about passion, commitment, loyalty, athleticism and, of course, sometimes this does go beyond acceptable perimetres but its easy to play and learn and is the predominant Sport in most Nations and, easily, the most popular.

Anyone who refers to this marvellous Sport as "Soccer" outside North America, should be set free into a combined "Irons"/"Lions" Den of West Ham and Millwall Fans who have just heard that their Teams are going to be joined at the hip and called West Millwall...

Its major problem is that it is a "Common Mans Sport" and for that, in some peoples eyes, it will never be forgiven...B)

?Football?bloody heaven.?

p.s Apart from the obvious removal of any animosity between fans, what other gestures could be made, publicly, to set a good example by those involved ( on the pitch, especially)??

p.p.s. With thanks to a lil plagirism...

Frankly rugby is my preferred game (since Georgie Best gave up) though I like both a lot. However, in answer to your question TLS, what football needs is to get rid of all the wimps playing it. We need a good 22 man fight during the course of a match to settle things down. The ref can't send everyone off. This form of entertainment on the pitch will have commentators muttering for a while but will act to defuse off field tensions as at last people will have something worth watching.

Perhaps the ultimate answer is to cross breed the games of rugby and football or play a half of each! West Ham v Millwall might be a rugby match worth watching. Squads would be restricted in numbers so that some would be required to play both codes.

Do you like this idea or does it need more work?

I actually like both sports - but put two aliens in a room watching foorball and rugby and they's sort football out after a few games rugby they'd still be scratching their heads. Football's simplicity is its strength and universal appeal.

Although the atmosphere isn't often as good in rugby - generally it is a far more civilised atmosphere and certainly more friendly.

On field the difference between respect for the referee is incomparable...

and generally rugby players aren't paid the obscene amounts of money that young often not as well educated and very young men are in football...

I've always enjoyed going to rugby matches in Dublin,Edinburgh,Paris,Cardiff and Twickers as there is never the threat of violence and there is always good craic (as they say). The atmosphere in Cardiff is something else when the Welsh are singing, though I've been lucky enough as an Irishman to have gone there about 6 times and never seen Ireland lose. The singing does die off a bit eventually. They are sore losers IMO but don't resort to violence. Just sip their drinks quietly and talk of bad luck or some such.

As for football, I've been to a fair few grounds mostly in London, though I have been as far North as Dundee.I've felt threatened at Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs without opening my mouth but not so at Arsenal or QPR for example.

I suggest they change rules of rugby to allow anything but death on the pitch, introduce a round ball for the football fans and Bob's yer Uncle.

soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer!