Mean people outside The Castle - what to do?

prettyflowers

I live near The Castle pub. In all the time we have lived there I havent been troubled at all by the people who stand outside, or the noise, which has always been fine, however, of late the people hanging about around the front have begun to jeer and lear at me (and I'm sure at many other girls) as I walk past. Its embarassing and rude and not very nice to come back to after a hard days work. I am determined not to make them change my route to get home and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to cope/what to do about these pests?

Thank you!

I probably used to be your neighbour... I got a bit pissed off with living very close to a pub (and everything that comes with it) but the majority of customers always seemed fine to me. Maybe the best tactic might be to try and make a joke back at them, turn it into a bit of friendly banter.

Actually on second thoughts - put brick in handbag, swing bag at their heads.

I'd just smile back or laugh it off - not worth getting stressed over! Could try looking at it from another view.... at least they are still whistling etc, i'm sure when women get to a certain age they might be greatful to have that attention! Hope that doesn't offend anyone!

Smile coquettishly, approach them suggestively with a lowered head and a pouting mouth, then lunge for their balls with sharply-filed, strengthened nails whilst frothing at the mouth and screaming 'I'm gonna rip your cocks off and eat them'. Should do the trick.

Claire29 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd just smile back or laugh it off - not worth

> getting stressed over! Could try looking at it

> from another view.... at least they are still

> whistling etc, i'm sure when women get to a

> certain age they might be greatful to have that

> attention! Hope that doesn't offend anyone!

I guess someone had to provide the 'here we go'-worthy post, so I suppose it will have to be me.

I'd say Claire29's suggestion is fine if you're happy to engage with these people, but I really don't see that it's the only option - if you don't want to engage with a load of drunken yobbish louts then you shouldn't feel obliged to humour them - it only validates them.

I'd ask the opinion of the police safer neighbourhood team who've started a thread here, perhaps they could get some of their officers to stroll by and see what is going on, and if necessary have a word with them. No need for arrests or anything serious, but if people are making others feel threatened and harrassed, they should be told that they are out of line.

I agree with Moos, pretty flowers, if they are upsetting you. They probably think it is funny, or even a compliment, and it just hasn't occurred that you might be finding it upsetting or offensive. I definitely wouldn't react though. Sounds like it has been going on for a while, so if you react what you have taught them is that it takes a couple of weeks of picking on you, and then they'll get the reaction they are after. Treat them like naughty toddlers and deny them attention!

I still think, humour them or just ignore them surely they can't be that offensive can they? The man who works in Le Garage on Whateley Road, leer's at anything in a skirt that walks past, I just ignore him or keep ear phones in then dont even hear what he's saying! I certainly don't lose any sleep over it, sorry if that seems a bit harsh!

Claire29 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I still think, humour them or just ignore them

> surely they can't be that offensive can they? The

> man who works in Le Garage on Whateley Road,

> leer's at anything in a skirt that walks past, I

> just ignore him or keep ear phones in then dont

> even hear what he's saying! I certainly don't lose

> any sleep over it, sorry if that seems a bit

> harsh!

Why is there an apostrophe in the word 'leer's'?

I cant see the PCSOs taking on a bunch of half cut yobbo's, they tend to limit their strong arm stuff to decent people who drop cigar butts or cautioning young ladies walking with their bicycles along the pavement.

I think you might phone the Castle's publican and tell him that you intend to contact the PCSO's if there is any more of their loutish behaviour on the Queen's highway. This would be passed on to the louts who might change their drinking den if the 'law' chose to observe the place, or possibly curb their unwanted outbursts.

Often this type of stuff is short lived and usually carried on by one or two mouthy individuals who lead others on, but they often move on because they get knicked for other offences, or by people who are 'looking' for them.

Meanwhile if you invest in a spray which you can hold in your hand concealed in your pocket, whilst you pass through, that might make it a little easier on your frayed nerve ends.

It is also getting more autumnal and I expect this will result in less yobs on the street as the temperature drops.

I echo Steve T - it's in the pub's interest to make sure their customers aren't causing a nuisance to or intimidating local residents.

I also agree ignoring them is the best way in the meantime - they're obviously making you feel uncomfortable so I can't see how engaging with/humouring them would be the right option for you. I hate stuff like this, however harmless / jovial / flattering people suggest it might be, I personally hate it.

x

I suppose everyone has their own way of dealing with things like this so do whatever your comftable with, my personal fave suggestion was

Posted by: James Yesterday, 03:57PM

You could wear a strap-on under your dress and flash it at them as you go by. That should shut them up.