AKA

bigbadwolf

Seeing as I've been causing just a tiny bit of discontent in the Irish quarter by branding them as:

Bogmen.

Tinkers.

Micks.

Thicko.

Spudmuncher.

Itinerants

Cowboys.

Etc...

I just thought it would be fair if any of the tin...er, Irish would like to share some of their slurs that they use to describe their former colonial masters. All contributions will be treated as light hearted and me and the administrators will be working in a joint effort to curb any unpleasantness or if we think that the thread is getting out of hand or bringing down the tone of the forum.

If you're from the commonwealth then please feel free to add your contribution.

U.K passport holders of English extraction are not allowed to contribute unless I say so.

Please begin.

Being of a rather mixed heritage I prefer to steer clear of cultural slurs as I normally end up referring to myself as much as anyone else. For you however BBW I will make an exception.

I did once hear my Boer grandfather referring to the English as target practice.

Whereas my Irish uncle would merely refer to them as bastards.

Both of these however pale compared to the avalanche of various names for the Irish, Afrikaners, Blacks, Indians and anyone else different from themselves I learnt from the English side of my family.

Fact is BBW (and thank you for giving us the platform) we actually like the English mostly. You of course are an exception but you'd expect that anyway.Apart from football yobs, tattoos, expecting foreigners to understand you speaking English in their country, and having very little interest in anything beyond your own shores, you (not YOU) are decent folk. Good sense of humour, if not quite as developed as ours, fair minded,and prepared to put up with eejets like us, as you percieve us! So I won't say a bad thing about you lot.

Meh, I have no issues with slagging off the English as even though I?m a "foreigner" (according to some of them) I?m as English as they are anyway so I?m only insulting myself.

Which I suppose is an advantage of coming from a mixed family. You get to pick and choose your allegiances as it suits you.

What on earth prompted any sane minded person to post a thread like this in 2009?....

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seeing as I've been causing just a tiny bit of

> discontent in the Irish quarter by branding them

> as:

>

> Bogmen.

> Tinkers.

> Micks.

> Thicko.

> Spudmuncher.

> Itinerants

> Cowboys.

> Etc...

>

> I just thought it would be fair if any of the

> tin...er, Irish would like to share some of their

> slurs that they use to describe their former

> colonial masters. All contributions will be

> treated as light hearted and me and the

> administrators will be working in a joint effort

> to curb any unpleasantness or if we think that the

> thread is getting out of hand or bringing down the

> tone of the forum.

>

> If you're from the commonwealth then please feel

> free to add your contribution.

>

> U.K passport holders of English extraction are not

> allowed to contribute unless I say so.

>

> Please begin.

"Fact is BBW (and thank you for giving us the platform) we actually like the English mostly. You of course are an exception but you'd expect that anyway.Apart from football yobs, tattoos, expecting foreigners to understand you speaking English in their country, and having very little interest in anything beyond your own shores, you (not YOU) are decent folk. Good sense of humour, if not quite as developed as ours, fair minded,and prepared to put up with eejets like us, as you percieve us! So I won't say a bad thing about you lot."

I value your contribution more than you can imagine Declan. I'm treating this as Penance.

Keep it coming.

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peat-arsed lamb shunters

> Clunge worriers

> Tink-eyed fraggers

> Smeg bakers

> Jizz-haired marsh-clags

> Toenail eaters

> Clinkered snarf-hounds

> Knob spongers

>

> All common currency where I grew up.

Fine work from the Max there. I was believing every word, till I tripped over "Jizz-haired marsh-clags", realised I'd skipped "Smeg bakers" and came down to Earth* with a bump.

*To be specific, this blessed Eden.