Drinking water

davy watts

Once, long ago, when a man felt thirsty he could, all by himself and quite unaided and unprompted by lifestyle magazines, daytime TV presenters, and that smug git in the office who goes to the gym at lunchtimes, walk to the tap and pour himself a glass of water.

This, combined with a cup or two of tea, perhaps a juice in the morning, and something passable but inexpensive with his meal, was enough to get him through the day.

But now he must sit, Evian bottle constantly present, swigging every few minutes lest the feared and mighty dehydration monster attacks him and shrivels his dermis, dries his eyes to spent husks, and allows millions of toxins unchecked access to his pancreatic lining (or something).

Swig swig. Swig. Mummy. Another swig.

Can I just say how well presented I thought Ted's lament was. Bottled water is becoming far too fashionable these days. So much so, that now even infants are complaining to mum and dad that they don't get a dose of Pelegrino on the taxpayers ticket like the brats in the rest of the E.U do.

Has anyone seen the recent ad featuring low clalorie water. What's next? Are Volvic going to re-package earth, wind and fire?

Bottled water is the bane of the planet man. Nowt wrong with the stuff from the taps. At least we are lucky enough to have a water supply.

Where my mum lives in the Borders there is no water supply and her water is run-off from the hills into a tank and thence to the hoose. Yon hills are covered in sheep dontcha know. She recently had her water tested by the environmental health people and it failed on the presence of Ecoli bacteria, and that's with a filtration system. Yum!

I can tell from this thread that none of you have had kidney stones. I know someone who has and believe me after that kind of pain you'd spend the rest of your life sipping almost any available liquid for fear they return. I'll just leave you male cynics with one thought. If kidney stones can't be broken up with a lazer beam (and many can't) then they have to be smashed up "by hand" during surgery, and there's only one way in........

Leaglebeagle I have kidney stones and had kidney surgery and I tell no lie I drink a minimum of 3 litres of water a day, more in the summer mainly due to fear of more kindey issues! As a result I have spent many an hour searching for toilets when out and about so can sympathise with comutedshorty.

99% of it comes from a tap - far cheaper and nearly as yummy.

I have suffered with occasional pain from kidney stones since my twenties, it's like a disease, always with you and you do anything necessary to prevent another attack.

I gave up booze and did not miss it one bit, as it was booze which incited it with the dehydration. I drink lots of water and not much milk other than for cereals, because of the calcium which forms the stones. Whitebait is not recommended either because of the tiny bones, but I still indulge sometimes as it's sooo delicious.

My favourite water for taste is Buxton by a streak. When I go to the swimming pool and people have a bottle at the end of the length to sip, I find that idiotic, as no-one I ever knew became dehydrated whilst swimming.

I use tap water and fill bottles which are kept chilled in the fridge and it is like a different drink, I rarely drink it straight out of the tap unless it's in the heart of winter. Thames water tastes good though like sophiesofa says.

To stop the constant P***ing add some elderflower cordial, it doesn't pass through your system quite so quick Davy Watts.

Obviously, you know, always read the label, and pregnant women, children and people with kidney stones please speak to your pharmacist, but in general you can trace the decline of this nation to the moment when adults decided that walking around attached to the teat all day was acceptable.

A faint miasma of dehydration is good for the humours. It keeps sweating to a minimum and discourages unmanly thoughts in a woman.