German Christmas Markets

Cassius

we haven't been to a German one but we went to one in Brussels. It was really easy to get there on the Eurostar and so close to the station that we walked back to it on the way home, rather than taking the underground. We stayed in a Novotel right next to the market and it had a swimming pool for the kids. The market itself was really good with a skating rink and a big wheel (not unlike the one in Hyde Park). There was much more variety than the London one and plenty of gluwein and interesting food stalls. We went on a Friday, which was much less busy than the Saturday, which was heaving.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone been to the German Christmas Markets

> and if so would they recommend?

I used to live in Germany

Cologne is probably the easiest to get to by car although you pass Aachen it is not worth stopping there from my experience

If going further afield Heidleburg or Aschaffenburg are awesome

I went to Aachen Xmas before last and came back through Lille in France which has a great Xmas market and Fair and you can do Lille on the Eurostar

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> There is a "German" market in Beckenham later this

> year, saves a trip across the channel & endless

> "Fawlty Towers" pastiches.

>

Funnily enough of I wanted to go to f*cking Beckenham or f*cking Hyde Park I wouldn't have asked the f*cking question.

Cassius Wrote:

> woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There is a "German" market in Beckenham later

> this

> > year, saves a trip across the channel & endless

> > "Fawlty Towers" pastiches.

> >

> Funnily enough *of I wanted to go to @#$%&

> Beckenham or @#$%& Hyde Park I wouldn't have asked

> the @#$%& question.

* ?

More sex & less alcohol I find works.

I do know of the greatest christmas market in Germany. I lived very close once but I shall now keep it "secret " from you so ,meh.

Of/If anyone else wants the info PM me.

See you in Beckenham cassius darling.

Aufedersein Pet.

W**F

Depends what you're looking for. I've been over a few times to visit friends and stopped in at a few of the markets. I've rarely bought much though aside from gl?wein and the odd bit of confectionary. In terms of interesting gifts, I've found more at local open studios (e.g. Cockpit at Deptford/Holborn)

It's a good excuse for a weekend break - but I'd recommend going to one in a city where there's more to do than just being known for the Christmas market.