Alan Green

davy watts

A commentator should simply report the facts as they are happening. So all we should hear from his mouth are statistics, phases of play, incidents, summarys and updates. He gets right up my nose when he starts pontificating on players and managers' decisions. Moan.....moan.....moan. He sounds like a poor man's Ian Paisley.

You are a right whinger Davy! ;-)

I agree, about Alan Green, he is very negative.

I have asked myself many times however why he is in the job he is in and the answer comes from the commentary on key football matters.

When Radio5 build up a match they play old clips and Alan Green's key ability to describe what has happened in pressure moments is key, for example the MU win over Bayern Munich to win the European Cup in injury time.

I don't like the guy, but I try to be fair and R5 give him the last quarter of key games because he deilvers under pressure.

Its always important to put both sides of the argument so although i don't like the guy, I feel I have worked out why Radio5 rate him so highly - next time you are on the edge of your seat, try to intelligently communicate what you are watching, then you will realise where AG's skill lies.

I quite like him for his opinions. I don't want to listen to people being neutral for the sake of not upsetting anyone. Fact is he is a Liverpool fan from what I understand. I think radio commentry should be about getting across the events on the field and I much prefer someone giving an opinion than just being polite.I think AG is good at his job even if you don't like him.

PS Why the BBC chose Motty over Barry Davies I will never know. Davies was a much better commentator.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yes i agree declan. Motty is massively over rated.

> Now one of beebs better commentators.

I never rated him Mick. He's a stat freak, has a voice that you don't want to listen to.

Dear Alan Green (and other radio commentators - but mainly Alan Green).

Here is a list of things I couldn't giveafuckabout.

1. The traffic on the M6.

2. How close you could park your enormous arse to the ground

3. If there is some small part of the field you have to crane your fat neck to see.

4. If a female runner has brought you a coffee and a doughnut yet

5. How cold it is where you are sitting.

6. If "United are playing left to right" as you look at it

7. If the man in front of you occasionally gets to his feet

8. How late it will be before you get home

Yours,

T. Max

Hes an aquired taste I agree, if he hasnt had a good old moan about The stadium PA System/ State of the pitch/quality of the pies within the first 3 mins then hes probably saving himself for a top quality rantathon a little further down the line.

Lawrenson used to be a lot more critical of Liverpool, but according to my sources he told them it was to safeguard his job. So many ex-Liverpool in the national media but it's probably only Thommo on Sky who is really biased.

Alan Green may have his critics, but there are also a lot of commentators who dig the knife into Liverpool at every turn such as Mark Bright, Craig Burley and Gary Linekar. I know they're all no marks but still not happy when it's so often baseless!