recording your band live

iaineasy

I have a 16 track digital multi tracker recording set up that I can use to rcord your band live at gigs etc, I am happy to do this for free. If you would like a live digital recording of your band leave me a message or pm me and I will be happy to come along a record you. There is no fee for the recording but you can buy me a pint if you like.

doing it because I can

hugs as ever

Interesting... I have a similar device, but have never used it to record a live gig.

Would you take outputs of the separate tracks from the desk (assuming it has appropriate inserts)? Or set up your own mics directly into your recorder? Or something else?

Hiya Iaineasy, my band is playing a gig in the Hob, opposite Forest Hill station, on November 20th, not sure what the set up will be, so don't know if everything will be through a desk or not. We're also playing the Half Moon in hearne hill on December 11th, and they definitely have everything running through a desk, with a sound tech.

If you could do either of these, I'd be very gratefull, and would certainly get you a few pints in!

yeah thats cool keef id love to and my birthday is on the 22nd so it may be a good chance to celebrate, if we can sub mix you drum kit and take a stereo out of that mixer we can prob ably take all the other stuff from the main desk. I have 8 inputs i can use on the recorder so we can multi track most of the stuff how many instruments in your band??

Would you take outputs of the separate tracks from the desk (assuming it has appropriate inserts)? Or set up your own mics directly into your recorder? Or something else?

------------------------------------------------

depends what the set up of the band is but yes generally outputs from the main desk are best as I only have 8 inputs I usually sub mix into groups and have 4 stereo sub mixes, that gives enough scope for most bands to get a good digital recording, I used to run and engineer an open mic night in camden so would record 8/10 acts over an evening, I usually try to email the band a mix of there stuff on the night too so they can get an idea of what they sounded like it's a good way of getting people to improve their sound and build their confidence, and I have amassed a great library of unsigned music which I will eventually put onto a server so people can download there own stuff or post links to there gigs, its growing slowly but since I don't charge for it at the moment it's something I can only work on in my spare time. Since I have moved to dulwich though I would like to get back on track with it as I love being in the scene and writing recording tunes, I am sure there must be a vibrant music community here and I am very up for supporting talented people however I can.

Once I have my house organised I will set up a small digital writing stu7dio here too so if people want to come and make some electronica I will be well up for it especially as once the little one arrives I will need to spend alot of time at home, and time spent tweeking knobs and faders is time well spent.

There are some of my digital tunes on my myspace page if anyone is interested the link is myspace/easyukmusic

I have taken all my graphics off the page at the moment so its not much to look at but feel free to have a listen and tell me what you think.

Hugs

I'm thinking the half moon in december may be better for us, as we're definitely be going through a desk. At the hob the guitar and bass may just be coming through amps. Not played there before and don't know what their set up is.

love th flags vid wolfy but the bombs are depressing its not a good idea its just a can do attitude.perhaps i could record the end of the world, but keef i would like to come to both and listen to your sound, i could set up a couple of room mics at the hob and get a fairly good sound but it will be a bit grimy. if you want a good digital recording that you could make into a live album then the half moon it is have you got a myspace page so I can listen to your tunes?

iaineasy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bugger cant get the links to work on your website

> to the hear us page its says the certificate is

> wrong so I cant hearthe tunes keef.

Which might be a benefit actually.

I said might BTW

That is strange, I'll look in to it. The tracks on there are studio recorded, and I'm not actually too keen to be honest. We will soon have a live (recorded in the studio not a gig) video clips on there though. Please do come to both gigs, and do what you can, we'd be very grateful for any results, and won't be looking to sell anything, just use as demos to get more wedding gigs and stuff (yes we've all sold out). As I say, I will definitely get you a few beers in!

> We will soon have a live (recorded in the studio not a gig) video clips on there though.

That's an excellent idea keef. Lots of functions bands have videos of them miming along to a studio recording - you can see through it straight away. I'd much rather hear a genuine performance so you can tell how good they really are.

I agree miming sucks, I like it live even if it is slightly rougher round the edges, I will come along to both for sure, you have a lot of kit though so we will see what we can do about multi tracking your stuff it depends on the desk and stuff at the half moon, but if its a regular there for you then we can plan ahead a bit more. Or I will dive in there over the next few weeks and see what they have and try and get a number for their engineer and have a chat with him to see what's viable.

Yeah, our drummer had a load of demos of bands when he was getting married, and went for the only one who provided a live disk. We hired these guys to come and record us. Not cheap, but hopefully we'll get a good quality result.

• 2 months later...

iaineasy, are you still up for this? We missed the Hob (although it probably would have been a logistical nightmare), but Half Moon is this Friday (and everything will be properly mic'd up)...

No worries if you can't, but would be very grateful if you could.

• 4 months later...

Our band need a good live recording, so was wondering if either Iaineasy, or anyone else may be able to help us out? Of course we wouldn't expect it for free, and would agree a fee.

Anyone able to help out?

We have a private gig at the start of July, at The Rivoli Ballrooms in Brockley, which we think would be an ideal one for recording, so any ideas welcome.