Am I biting off more than I can Jimmy Choo?

giggirl

What exactly is hiking and how does it differ from walking?

I'm seriously thinking of checking myself into an ashram in the early new year but it's hardcore so there's a lot to think about. Yoga at 6am followed by a daily 12 mile hike and then more yoga and a swim and then maybe a half a lentil and then it's bedtime. There's a long list of contraband which stretches to mobiles, laptops, alcohol, caffeine and cars. The website doesn't mention ipods but I don't think it's been updated in a while.

Even worse, it's two to a room and four to a bathroom. Whilst the mountain hiking gig is a challenge that I could run with, the sharing of bedrooms and bathrooms is way, and I do mean way, outside by comfort zone. I'm generally a very spoiled girl - I know this.

I've been thinking about doing this for a few years and finally broached the subject with my bitches at the weekend. They laughed right in my face. It wasn't the reaction I was expecting so I was a bit deflated. In fairness though I'm a city girl through and through and I panic if I'm away from the smoke too long. Best friend bitch reminded me of the first time she invited me to her parents' weekend house and I needed to be dug out when my Jimmy Choos sank into the driveway . Apparently they're still telling the story and I am legend in that corner of Suffolk. Fucking peasants. I looked fabulous.

Anyway, I don't want to go through life staying in my comfort zone. This appeals to me. What do you think? Is it too much? Am I nuts?

Today I tentatively ventured into one of those outdoorsey shops that sell camping stuff and big thick socks and things. I checked out the hiking footwear and it's all really ugly. Apparently they need a lot of wearing in so if I was to go to the ashram in March I would need to buy them now and, erm, wear them a bit.

So I'm thinking, should I buy the boots and have a little hike and see how I feel about it?

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What exactly is hiking and how does it differ from

> walking?

It's a bit like the sound of one hand clapping: very difficult to explain but you'll understand as soon as you hear it.

> So I'm thinking, should I buy the boots and have a

> little hike and see how I feel about it?

Yes and no. It all depends on what you are really seeking. What are you really seeking?

HAL9000 Wrote:

What are you really seeking?

A challenge Hal. Everything I do these days is well within the boundaries of my comfort zone. I live a very comfortable life. I have a lot to be grateful for and I AM grateful. I want to do something that scares me and challenges me and shakes me up.

Retreating to an ashram is a rather introverted and introspective activity. You seem to be quite an extrovert. Just an idea - why not try some voluntary work? There's nothing more satisfying (in my view) than helping people less fortunate than yourself - and it can be scary and challenging too.

Giggirl, have a look at this place which might be more your cup of tea.

It's a yoga holiday without all the rules (bit wacky in places and lots of woo, but a really lovely couple run it and the villa is fab) Maybe more nudging your boundaries than really pushing them, but the en-suite bathrooms are lovely!

12 mile hike per day, thats half a marathon or 5 hours walking.

Then swimming, and one lentil for supper. Any self flagellation?

Sharing bathrooms and bedrooms is for students and that kind of age group.

If you can take your own party to share with so you do it together, might be slightly more appealing, but only slightly.

Strictly for the youth or twenty something year olds, in my opinion.

SteveT Wrote:

> 12 mile hike per day, thats half a marathon or 5

> hours walking.

Surely more like 3hrs at a fairly decent pace? I guess it depends if you have to scramble up rocks and stuff.

Giggirl wrote:- So I'm thinking, should I buy the boots and have a little hike and see how I feel about it?

They need to be worn non-stop for two weeks from breakfast to bed-time to ensure they wont cripple you on the hiking days.

GG wrote:- I checked out the hiking footwear and it's all really ugly.

I really wonder whether this is the right thing for you to undertake, the boots are supposed to be robust enough to

protect your feet in rough terrain.

I don't think you will find any to match your lipstick.

To be honest GG I am sure you would have a far better holiday donning your hiking boots, taking a back pack full of cash, hitching lifts to Blue Water for the risky excitement, and shopping for shoes and accessories till you drop.

Leave enough on your credit card for the ticket home.

GG - I say go for it.

I've often contemplated such retreats - and I have non-hippy sane friends who have tried them and got loads out of them.

There's a book called Eat Pray Love - hideous chick-lit looking book - that is about a woman spending a year getting out of her comfort zone, part of which she spent in an ashram - and yes, it sounded really tough, but really worth it.

I don't think being a city Jimmy Choo-wearing gal needs to stop you exploring other things. Why pigeonhole yourself?

You might just find when you get back you walk a little taller in those Jimmy Choos....

Sounds better than a retreat that a colleague did earlier this year which involved reciting mantras at different strangers at two hour intervals for 4 days with a similar list of contrabands. He came back slightly glassy-eyed but insisted it was worth it. Spending some time getting to know yourself rather than entertaining others can be a good thing.

Roughing it with the bedroom and bathroom is do-able for a week especially since there will likely be slightly lower appearance standards than in your usual life. Very few sheep appreciate an immaculate makeup job while hiking - particularly at that time of year when you're dolled up in your waterproofs.

So far as hiking boots go, modern ones are far more forgiving than the old leather ones in terms of needing to be worn in sufficiently. Take some decent socks (I tend to just wear normal weight merino wool ones rather than massive chunky ones) and get a pair that feel comfy from the get-go. The caveat around getting them bigger than usual is to do with your feet swelling slightly if you're on them for a long time. I'd say that if you can squeeze your feet into Jimmy Choo's for a day, the potential pain of hiking boots is nothing! You'll likely have more problems with aching calf muscles if you're not used to wearing 'flat' shoes than your feet.

And hiking over walking? I'd suggest that hiking is usually over slightly rougher terrain and off the beaten track a little more. You walk on paved paths and gravel and can do so in Jimmy Choos. You hike over grass, mud, rocks and don't have a hope in heels.

12 hours a day hiking is an awful lot, even for a seasoned hiker. Why don't you try going on an organised hiking/adventure type holiday first before committing to this ashram - it seems to me that you have so many doubts that you are not going to enjoy it and you are not mentally ready for it. If it's a spiritual experience you're after, then in my opinion hiking in a beautiful remote place can be exactly that - why punish yourself with all the other stuff that an ashram requires of you?

ps there's no reason that you can't enjoy hiking, roughing it, sharing bedrooms etc AND be a city girl and wear fancy high heels - I've done both and come out of it a happier more rounded person. Very happy to bore you with my experiences if it will inspire you - just PM me!

Likewise GG, done quite a bit of hiking in the uk and in places like Italy, Spain and south America.

It's like walking but hillier, and yes get yourself some nice boots, gortex to keep your tootsies dry and be prepared to spend a little extra and save yourself all those horrid blisters (never had a single one in my current boots though they've just died)

I'd recommend just hiring a nice cottage in te middle of nowhere where the recepiin won't work on your phone and just enjoy yourself. If you ping me there's a lovely one in the brecons a few miles away from Myddfai I'll happily recommend.

I've been in an ashram in Canada believe it or not. Horrible things full of damaged people looking for something, and which I guarantee you they won't find from some awful 'guru' preaching total subservience and driving around in a roller.

Happy walking, or hiking or clapping with one hand or whatever.

To be fair MP - while I don't doubt your experience in an ashram at all, I don't think you can lump them all together as "horrible things". It's like anything isn't it - there are probably awful ones and good ones and the best way is to do some research and talk to people about what their experience has been.

My dad went to a retreat for about 8 months where they weren't allowed to drink alcohol, had to hike for about 3 hours a day, exercised until they fainted, were screamed at, punched in the ribs and face if they didn't dress like everyone else, had to eat the same food every day, programmed to wipe their arse with one sheet, learned how to survive extreme conditions,

instructed in the best way to eliminate a fellow Swami with their bare hands, and how to do it without anyone noticing.

What that did to his Chakra is anyone's guess.

Nice post, giggirl and also good to read you do not take your comfortable life for granted.

I know you work hard.

So how about volunteering somewhere, local hospital or somewhere. Course, you'll probably need a CRB check but volunteering may make a difference to not only how you feel but will help the people you're volunteering for.

And I am sure you'll be able to drink coffee and keep your mobile with you, too.

Fair comment BB and perhaps unfair though this one was internationally reknowned and respected (I roomied up with Blair's biographer).

I was there for a few days to lend moral support to a friend doing some pretty intensive advanced yogic teacher instruction. Let's just leave it at it most certainly wasn't for me.