Celtic - We just want someone to love us...

Mick Mac

The Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawell today said "We just want someone to want us".

He's making his biggest pitch yet for inclusion in the English League, not necessarily the Premier League but at some level.

Celtic need to be invited and it seems after today they will consider invitations at any level.

Where will they end up and which league in England, if any, will they end up in? Whilst the Premiership don't necessarily want them, surely some lower league will see Celtic and Rangers as an asset for their league?

To be honest Mick, you can't go inviting Celtic and Rangers without inviting the rest of Scottish football - the Old Firm departing for England will finish Scottish football when it is already on it's knees. Likes of Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts would also have to be included. Maybe a full merger between English and Scottish football is for the best.

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To be honest Mick, you can't go inviting Celtic

> and Rangers without inviting the rest of Scottish

> football - the Old Firm departing for England will

> finish Scottish football when it is already on

> it's knees. Likes of Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts would

> also have to be included. Maybe a full merger

> between English and Scottish football is for the

> best.

You don't really believe that do you Matt? - there are 2 teams in Scotland who stand apart from the rest. These teams are recognised by UEFA as being in the 20 clubs in Europe.

Without them Aberdeen and Hearts etc will do well and can win a Scottish title - their fans will be rejuvenated.

The question would be - if it is going to happen - and I think it will - what league will they begin in? Someone will want them, at some level....

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > HonaloochieB Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick

> >

> >

> >

> > I want you to want me - Cheap Mick

>

> I Want You To Want Me - Chap, Mick

I want me to want you too HB - but I can't cos noone knows who you r ....(apart from BBW's Mum apparently)

Well I think Ruffers, that is exactly why they will not go into the Premiership. No team in the Premiership needs more teams in the Premiership.

However then if you look at the Championship, you might say that adding 2 teams and making the league 2 teams greater in number (without taking any teams out) might increase the overall marketability of that league.

You might again say no, in which case you look down again to League 1, and maybe again to League 2 - but eventually 2 teams that have 60000 plus fans in Glasgow and hundreds of thousands of fans in England will make a league more attractive to the other teams in the league, their supporters and the advertisers.

So the question is at what level would that happen?

It is part of current thinking - when Man City dropped down to League 1 - the teams in that league thought it was great for the league - some glamour being brought in - if you offer them the opportunity to have 2 similar teams in their league, will they be interested?

At some level, an English League will be interested, and my question is, at what level might that be?

As a City fan, that season was great. I went to a lot of away games and the grounds were all full, every game a big occasion.

So I get your question of what level they would come in, but then the question would become how high they could go? If Premiership clubs blocked them getting that high, as I believe they would as stated above, that blocks Europe.. and money. And in that case I think they'd stay in Scotland.

Maybe go to Holland? Small league there.

I think Ruffers once they are accepted in at any level in England then they become the same as any other team and like Cardiff for example, if they are good enough to win promotion, then they go up to whatever level, they just need to get in. I don't beleive the Premiership would prevent them coming in as a promoted team. Obviously that would be clarified before the move, otherwise C/R would not move to England if there was a glass ceiling.

And I think that's where it breaks down. Why would a majority of Prem clubs vote for a greater chance of them losing their place as I believe they would need to?

I know it's Rangers (!) but I guess this is what prompted it http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8297988.stm and if anything that there Atlantic League seems the most likely route to me.

I think if you asked these questions of current Premier League teams

1) Would you accept Rangers and Celtic direct into the Premiership next year?

Answer of the majority = No (probably)

2) Would you accept promotion continues into the Premiership on normal terms but that at some point Celtic/Rangers might be one of the teams promoted - is that acceptable to you under normal rules?

Answer of the majortiy = Yes (possibly - on the basis that if you are currently in and its a few years away, then ok as it is good in the interests of the premiership generally - and peer pressure is applied).

But...what, approximately, is the current income from TV for the two Glasgow clubs? If they were admitted to League 2 then that's at least 3 seasons with a seriously reduced income. How many of the current players would want to stay with either club for those first seasons?

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I think if you asked these questions of current

> Premier League teams

>

> 1) Would you accept Rangers and Celtic direct into

> the Premiership next year?

>

> Answer of the majority = No (probably)

>

> 2) Would you accept promotion continues into the

> Premiership on normal terms but that at some point

> Celtic/Rangers might be one of the teams promoted

> - is that acceptable to you under normal rules?

>

> Answer of the majortiy = Yes (possibly - on the

> basis that if you are currently in and its a few

> years away, then ok as it is good in the interests

> of the premiership generally - and peer pressure

> is applied).

Disagree.

I think the answer would be "no, not risking my sky money"

Given that at the beginning of the season 10 clubs in the Premiership main intent is staying in it and another 5 have probably contingencies for the drop 'just in case', then it won't get voted in by the clubs. In the longer term money or a split at the top might change this. Mick, where do you reckon Celtic would be? Of course they'd get a big influx of money and interest but my gut feel is they'd be mid-table at best right now but would have a chance of winning it within 5-10 years? Rangers I'm not so sure about.

Mick, I'd like to see Ranger and Celtic join the pyramid system - perhaps come in at League 2 (old 4th Division) and let them earn their spurs. They'd be most welcome at that level because of the financial impetus to rest of division both on gate receipts and TV revenue.

It's not simply a case of have Rangers and Celtic to beef up the top half of Premiership it's about giving them the opportunity to reach their full potential as football clubs just like the same opportunity as other clubs in England (plus Cardiff and Swansea).

Why shouldn't Heart, Hibs also have the same crack? They're certainly bigger clubs than some such as Wigan, Blackburn - if it's all about just winning silverware then I'm sure those clubs would all have thrown in the towel shortly after inception.

Why wouldn't Aberdeen want to join the English system if they can reach the golden land of the Premiership. We cannot have one rule for two, and a different for others. If it turns out that some of those invited south are not interested then so be it but at least give the opportunity... rather than risk the wrath of the EU who might decide to shut down the Premiership ;-)