Combo guitar amps

Keef

What would people recommend as a good combo amp, not too big, packing a punch, ideally with good built in distortion?

My amp (Marshall JCM2000 TSL head, and 4x12 cab) is rather large, and not always appropriate for smaller venues (plus it takes up a lot of space in the car!). I would like something that created a similar sound though, so if anyone has used something like that, I'd be grateful for the advise.

Putting this in the lounge, as I doubt I'd get any responses on this in the recommendations section.

I too am a Marshall man. Not sure I do know any more than you though Brendan, I used to be a bass amp geek in my younger days, but I took a friend's advise on my guitar amp, and it was good advise, but it's just such a big b@stard!

Same friend has a great little Marshall combo, but it's on it's last legs, and I've never tried the newer models.

Unfortunately, the current range of cheaper Marshall combos aren't worth touching with a barge pole, unless you go north of ?500. If you want to go for a TSL (or DSL) combo I'm sure you'd be happy with that. Personally I always prefer a separate head and cab, but maybe that's just me...

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, the current range of cheaper Marshall combos aren't worth touching with a barge pole, unless you go north of ?500.

Hmmm, our drummer told me today that he'd ordered the Marshall MG100DFX from ebay (without running it by me). It sounds good in theory, and he got it for a very good price, I juat worry that it's all going to be a bit too digital. That said, Marshalls are never going to be shite, they just might not always be great...

Will still stick to my amp where possible, but this will have to do for smaller venues / longer journeys.

Have you actually tried this one Jeremy?