Rug Talk

*Bob*

Rugs.

The ones that go on the floor, not on your head.

BIG rugs.

Any ideas for where you might go to see and buy a really big rug? 3m x 4m sort-of size. Shaggy, bobbly, roll-aroundy ones, not the Turkish brothel type. Cash waiting. Thanks.

Well, that depends.

If you just want a rug that you like and looks nice, and you don't mind selling out to big chains, then I'd say both Ikea and John Lewis have a nice selection, depending on how much cash you have waiting.

If, on the other hand you want some kind of unique, statement-making, floor-based art work that expresses your personality and you can boast about when friends come round and feel cool and hip about, then I've no idea.

Helpful?

I'm 'down with' the usual rug routes.

Ikea-types are fine for a quick fix but are a little coarse underfoot and destined for the bin within a few years.

There's John Lewis, them up to Heals and Pervs and SCP etc, but was just wondering if I've missed anywhere obvious?

Things are getting rugly.

It appears that what we need, ideally, is a square rug.

Imagine that! A Square rug.

No-one makes square rugs: you have them individually hand-knitted by a Persian Princess in some boutique off the Kings Road for a hundred billion pounds.

Where can I find a selection of square rugs, of places that do custom sizing with terrible expense?

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You should go and talk to Maggie in MooToo. She

> knows everything about everything.

If the quality and style of her stock is anything to go by, I think I'd be better off talking to our cat.

Oh *Bob* dear, how disappointing you are!

You sound dreadfully middle aged, and not edgy or "down with the kids" at all! Why just Saturday last I bought myself a funky Union Jack printed "Scottie Dog" type door stop from MooToo, and I feel so incredibly uplifted and trendy each time I stumble over it and almost poke my eye out on my Philippe Stark juicer!

As I glance around my capacious, luxurious home, I see all manner of funky fabulousness from Maggie's super shop, Marimekko expresso cups, Alessi Nespresso machine, Designers Guild soft furnishings and general super trendyness - all serving to reaffirm my fashion forward, design led superiority!

You should go and buy your rug from a discount emporium in Peckham sweetie, clearly you are simply purchasing a rug in an effort to obscure the view of your floor (OHMYGOD!).

I for one, adore shiny tat. Although matt tat appears to be the current surface of choice on Alleyn Road. I had my marble kitchen surfaces ripped out and replaced with poured concrete years ago (sigh)! Detail is everything darling, but perhaps when I am ready to throw away my current rug I shall send you a PM (bats eyelashes)?

I looked at Woven Ground, and do likee very much, but alas, due to the non-standard sizing, the quoted cost was ?3675.

Which is 'quite a lot'.

However - *RUG NEWS*- Selfridges and John Lewis do custom sizes on a number of their rugs but the cost is calculated per square metre, not "ooh, it's bespoke, that'll be eight times a much, please".