Annoying yummies on NCR

Louisa

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a steady concentration of yummyfication along North Cross Road? During the daytime especially, I have noticed that certain shops and cafe's along this stretch seem to be the exclusive haunt of yummys with prams, especially during weekdays. LL seems to be getting away quite lightly of late, but this gradual concentration in this area is driving away folk of a different shopping class, and what makes it worse is the fact that shops aimed at everyone else seem to be disappearing in favour of exclusively yummy based clientele.

I do not wish to turn this into a yummyist rant exclusively, so I would welcome comments which are helpful in explaining why this sudden concentration of twenty to forty something middle-class house wife group have suddenly decided to colonise this small corner of sunny ED.

Louisa.

Okay I'll bite.

Why are they annoying to you Louisa if they are just going about their business patronising local cafes, shops, etc with other friends? NCR is a slightly nicer road to sit on as it has less traffic than LL and nice selection of useful shops, ie, green grocer, cafe (eeeeek, kid-friendly), chemist.

You don't want to turn this into a 'yummyist' rant, but you already have.

Best,

-C

candj, at first I thought it must be an irrational phobia I have of wealthy middle class ladies who have nothing better to do than sit in cafe's all afternoon supping on Earl Grey, but no, I have come to the conclusion that it must be more than that.

I think NCR should be for the benefit of all ED-er's and this 'ghetto' part of town has become almost dangerous for folk of a different socio-class to walk down, as I say above, especially of a weekday afternoon.

It is about time I reignited my outspoken campaign to stop community separtion and create a bit of cohesion, and this is especially true of NCR. As LuLu Too says, the Michael Hodges effect may well have caused this 'ghetto' community to have almost sprung up from the ground, but whatever the cause it needs a remedy, and fast.

Please *Bob*, you forgot the Prawn Crackers you naughty boy :-P

Louisa.

Asset, at least I go to the nearest supermarket to buy my wine in bulk so as to save a bit of money, these crazy capitalists spend endless afternoon's being ripped off by cafe owners along NCR with not a care in the world (other than when hubbys bonus may emerge so they can go on a shopping spree in Knightsbridge).

Assest i've just returned after a long tiresome journey half way round the world, I think even I deserve a take away tonight rather than slaving over a hot stove!

Louisa.

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really, it's down to the fact that the DMs are a

> pretty ghastly waste of space wherever they pop up

> and I am with you Louisa in supporting a cull in

> their number and a restriction of the alarming

> spread.

Is this a thread for woman, about woman. Not sure I would be wise to join in so I won't.

Domitianus Wrote:

> Really, it's down to the fact that the DMs are a

> pretty ghastly waste of space wherever they pop up

> and I am with you Louisa in supporting a cull in

> their number and a restriction of the alarming

> spread.

Praise the lord! Amen!

Louisa.

unbelievable intolerance, while we're at it can we cull some other groups of people too? Old people maybe, they get in the way all the time.

People with dogs, people with cars, bald people, fat people, gawd once you get started the list goes on and on

Asset Wrote:

> Goodness, extended round the world trips too, my

> my you must be even more wealthy than we thought

Asset, i'll have you know I have been saving for nearly 2 months to get together the 6k it took for that trip, and to be fair to me, it takes a lot out of you when you are having to change at Hong Kong both there and back on a marathon 27 hour journey. It is no walk in the park my love believe me! I bet half of those jet setting yummys wouldnt be able to stomach such a trip, it takes true working class balls of steel to do it!

Louisa.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with a bit of local intolerance by love, especially if it is for the benefit of the entire ED community. Now where do we start, I think Blue Mountain is a hot-spot in attracting these yummys, would anyone else agree?

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Asset, i'll have you know I have been saving for

> nearly 2 months to get together the 6k it took for

> that trip, and to be fair to me, it takes a lot

> out of you when you are having to change at Hong

> Kong both there and back on a marathon 27 hour

> journey. It is no walk in the park my love believe

> me! I bet half of those jet setting yummys wouldnt

> be able to stomach such a trip, it takes true

> working class balls of steel to do it!

>

> Louisa.

Trip to Australia - ?6k. Claiming it as working class grit - priceless.

Thank you, you've really cheered me up Louisa, you're a treasure!

i'm a working class mummy who often walks down north cross road with my bugaboo and my daughter on a scooter - i'm more than happy to discuss this with you louisa......

just so you know, my husband is self employed, therefore has no bonuses, we haven't been on a holiday abroad for over 5 years, and i don't drink wine every night. am i still fair game??

From my really angry wife:

Louisa I must say i think your post is an absolute load of bollocks and instead of telling you to stick your spring rolls where the sun don't shine would like to provide a rational response to your ignorant post. I have recently become a mum, am from good Northern working class stock and have travelled to some pretty hardcore places myself. The way you are pigeonholing us 'yummys' merely for spending our hard-earned money in keeping small businesses in ED alive in a recession is unbelievably shortsighted for someone who by your posts appears to be a 'woman of the world'.

All the mummy friends I have in ED are normal, lovely ladies - a far cry from the ignorant, more-money-than sense sloane rangers you are describing here - indeed many of them aren't even receiving maternity pay from their employers - so what if they want to nurse a cup of tea for the afternoon - motherhood (contrary to ill-informed belief) is hard bloody work and can be quite lonely so why shouldn't we be allowed to get out and about in the local community?

A final point: I would say the majority of people in ED are tolerant, top people who I would like to think do not share your view.

Louisa Wrote:

> Asset, i'll have you know I have been saving for

> nearly 2 months to get together the 6k it took for

> that trip, and to be fair to me, it takes a lot

> out of you when you are having to change at Hong

> Kong both there and back on a marathon 27 hour

> journey. It is no walk in the park my love believe

> me! I bet half of those jet setting yummys wouldnt

> be able to stomach such a trip, it takes true

> working class balls of steel to do it!

>

> Louisa.

I've stomached the trip to HK many times if only because it indeed has some of the best airport shopping in the world (except maybe for Bahrain). ;-)

clux Wrote:

> i'm a working class mummy who often walks down

> north cross road with my bugaboo and my daughter

> on a scooter - i'm more than happy to discuss this

> with you louisa......

>

> just so you know, my husband is self employed,

> therefore has no bonuses, we haven't been on a

> holiday abroad for over 5 years, and i don't drink

> wine every night. am i still fair game??

Call yourself working class with a bugaboo? tut tut!

The key point is, do you go into these overpriced shops to buy produce, or are you more of an Iceland girl? Walking down NCR with a pram does not count unless you frequent a proportion of the shops!

candj, I am impressed you can too stomach that ridiculously long journey!

Louisa.