Has any one been to Rome ?

daizie

Gosh, where to start. Campo dei Fiori is lovely, and also the area that was once the Jewish ghetto. Trastevere over on the other side of the river is also very nice. As for what to see, all the usual sights - Roman forum, the Pantheon (my fave), trevi fountain, spanish steps, vatican city and st peters etc. As for eating - for lunch anywhere with basic decor, no menus and lots of old local folk eating there is a good bet! Spaghetti alla carbonara is a Roman dish, and also puntarelle which are a kind of chicory that as far as I know you only find in Rome. There is a great restaurant in the Jewish ghetto called Da Giggetto that is very lively in the evenings and delicous food. There is also an amazing gelateria near the trevi fountain that only offers flavours made with fresh ingredients that are in season - I think it's called San Crispino. I'll never forget the pear sorbet I had there...

Edited to add the name of the salady chicory things that I couldn't remember at first, and also the amazing gelateria

I used the Lonely Planet guide especially when it came to finding excellent but reasonably priced restaurants. They are often slightly back-street but worth the 5 minute wander.

The sights, well, a long weekend will let you do the main sites. This time of year you should be able to get into the Sistine Chapel, but you will need to get in the queue early - but its worth it.

Every where I ate the food was excellent, and the hotel was just off piazza navona which was the most "happening" piazza during the evenings.

Pizzas were slim, crisp, delicious, and cheap, they tasted nothing like the one's here.

Some shops gave a handful of boiled sweets instead of small change.

It is one of the most charming of european capital cities, but as in all large cities you have to carefully check your change following all transactions.

I flew from city airport which made it easier too.

we went last october try and stay as close in as you can - we stayed around campo fiori. it is right in the guts and although it was noisy at night with children it was so buzzy- we walked everywhere from there! the gelateria is called crispinas or similar. we used rough guide to rome, top tip to get the most out of it try and get on one of the guided tours of the colliseum and they will probably do you a package/ offers on other sites such the forum and vatican trip. we did one run by an american company which was really good- especially as we knew nothing about michel angelo other than a film with charlton heston in , and at the end the whole family will never forget how michel angelo painted and how he used male models etc.

I agree with SteveT that Piazza Navona is a great area to be near. We stay at the Hotel Rafael when we go (pre and post kids). Nice hotel and nice, friendly staff. Behind the hotel is a great antiquing area dotted around with restaurants and enotecas if your daughter likes that sort of thing. Also you are a short stroll across the Tiber to the Vatican should anyone need to repent! Obviously one should see the Coliseum (not near to P. Navona but nice long walk or taxi ride away), the Pantheon (short walk from P. Navona), the Spanish Steps (great shopping area and people watching area), and one of course should also throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain. The weather won't be boiling hot this time of year and the crowds hopefully have abated a bit.

If they do want to go to the Sistine Chapel, then they'll have to be prepared for an early start with a long wait - or a normal start with a very long wait. I think we got there by 8am (think it opened at 9.30 or 10) and the queue was already several hundred feet long. That was in May and while it might be a bit quieter now - bear in mind that with Advent coming up, it might start getting busier again.

My favourite site in Rome is the Pantheon - just awe-inspiring. And there's a fabulous gelateria just round the corner from it - Gialotti's

Rome is without doubt one of the most beautiful cities in the world but, IMO, has the rudest populance that I've ever come across - EVER. I've been on the receiving end of some jaw-dropping rudeness in Rome on more than one occasion. I'm not including here the priest at the Vatican who gave me a loud dressing down after he'd heard my confession - fair dos there I'm afraid.

The Coliseum is a must see, as is the Forum (the actual Forum, not the EDF - duh). The Vatican Museums are good to see BUT not if you're just going for the weekend; they aren't open on Sunday and close early on Saturday so every weekend visitor is queueing outside on Saturday morning (with the Italians pushing straight to the front of the queue and being allowed to do so). I've been to the Vatican twice and the second time I hired a guide to take me and my friend straight to the things we wanted to see - wasn't cheap but well worth the money.

There's a special offer for a hotel on this week's TravelZoo newsletter (see link below). Might be worth checking out.

http://uk.hotels.travelzoo.com/european-hotels/683002?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

Hotel FortySeven - I stayed at this hotel on one occasion in Rome. It's a lovely hotel BUT - on my first night there they had overbooked and sent me to a cheap and nasty hotel up the road instead. Yes I know I should have argued but I was on my own, having a bad time generally, and quite vulnerable:

http://www.fortysevenhotel.com/

It was a nice hotel when I finally got to stay there though.

Wherever you decide to stay you should run it past Tripadvisor just to make sure you're not checking into a hotel that consistently gets rotten reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g187791-Rome_Lazio-Hotels.html#ACCOM_OVERVIEW

daizie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you people, this is all very very helpful.

> Personal recommendations are always the best in my

> opinion, im copying this and passing it on, you

> lovely lot x

What Dazie really means is (but is too polite to say.....)

"Now back off travel freaks....erhhhh.... information overload"

Get a Roma Card - free travel for two days plus free entrance to two popular tourist destinations - can google it. Would recommend the Pantheon, but lovely just to wander around and get the vibe of the city - esp good this time of year as not too hot. Also be aware that the metro stops ridiculously early at night - 10.30 or 11.00 so best not to stay where you need it to get home.