Instrument Practice

Couperin

Hey everyone,

Need some advice on Practising an instrument. I'm thinking about starting an instrument but our ceiling is quite thin and the neighbours upstairs arent that receptive to us when each of us complain about certain things each of us do. My question is:

Can anyone think of a solution to practising an instrument without me practising in the flat?

I've looked around for practising studios, asked my teacher if she knows anyone with a room or garage I could rent or use, phoned the local church etc.

any other ideas?

Coup

If you want to learn an instrument, you really need to practise most days... so there'd be no point using a rehearsal room. Besides, most rehearsal rooms costs >?10 an hour, and you'll probably be next door to a metal band or something.

My advice - speak to your neighbours and ask what the best time of day is, and if there's any part of the house you should avoid practising in (i.e. directly below their bedroom or lounge). You could try experimenting with blankets, curtains, soft furnishings, etc to try and absorb some of the sound. If you own the flat, you might want to consider putting a soundproof dummy ceiling in one room.

PetuniaButtons Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I heard that egg boxes make for good sound insulations

I know you were only taking the piss, but... no they don't! And it's one of the worst possible fire hazards... short of dousing your room with petrol and filling it with fireworks.

I agree with Jeremy about talking to your neighbours to establish the best time although I would suggest avoiding committing yourself to a particular time and that time only.

I usually find the best times to practise are from say 12noon to about half 6. Really avoid anything after 8pm.

The cello and violin are not really noisy instruments (compared to brass and drums) so I wouldn't really get too worked up about being a nuisance to neighbours - in comparison to loud music, telly, arguments, dragging dead bodies across the floor etc

(tu)

Definitely go with Cello!

When you first start practicing you can't do more than about 15 mins solid work anyway as it's quite physically tiring. So there wouldn't be much point in hiring a space, as the best way to practice at first is little and often (ideally daily) as opposed to in hour long chunks.

Also as KalamityKel says, it's really not a noisy instrument (even less noisy than the violin because it's lower and not as...screechy) so don't worry about upsetting the neighbours.

Cello is probably one of the best options in terms of not annoying your neighbours, as even when played badly it sounds quite nice :) I live very close to a cello teacher and never notice any noise, despite a constant stream of pupils coming and going.

It's great that you're thinking of your neighbours! I practise (flute) in our loft room, which only attaches to our neighbour's kids playroom, and I figure the noise coming from their house more than drowns out what I'm doing. I only ever get a chance to practise in the weekends, and generally late morning/early afternoon, so hopefully it wouldn't bother them anyway.

Enjoy!

Definitely the cello, just because of that group Swans Way (or SwannsWay or even Swann's Way, perhaps).

Anyway they were from the 80s, can't be more specific because I just can't.

They had that song with a great lilt to it that I bought after seeing them on The Tube I think it was.

It had a ferrety vibe and a lusty singer.

Boss tune so it was.

Sydenham woods at midnight is what your neighbors will want

All else is UTTER LIES & anyway you have left it well late.

YOU WILL BE CR*P no matter what Mum or him in doors says.

Errrr urrrgh eeeeeeeee rgggth urrrnnnnnnnn eeeee ( poing ) This is what I hear most days & I like my next door neighbor BTW

W**F

Look all this is to limber her up, make the resolve fast & her hide toughen

Only then may she clamp her wooden legs to the floor and bridle that cello.

Oh yessss feel the deep & resonant bass note held as the horse hair & resin caress the strings

Flip your head back & blink the Marlboro smoke from your eye

Pass out sobbing on the bed, now knowing the "pain of the cello"

It's not you know an instrument to be taken lightly.

*Remind me one day to tell the eulogy of the ukulele *

Look all this is to limber her up, make the resolve fast & her hide toughen

Only then may she clamp her wooden legs to the floor and bridle that cello.

Oh yessss feel the deep & resonant bass note held as the horse hair & resin caress the strings

Flip your head back & blink the Marlboro smoke from your eye

Pass out sobbing on the bed, now knowing the "pain of the cello"

It's not you know an instrument to be taken lightly.

*Remind me one day to tell the eulogy of the ukulele *