How to get rid of squatters?

jrussel

Some months ago I purchased a property, which, for reasons I shall not go into, has stood empty for a period of time.

Earlier this week I visited it to take some measurements for a new kitchen I will be having installed and was a little alarmed to find that one of the locks on the door had been changed. From looking through the windows, it was clear that there was a person/people living in there; I could see a sleeping bag and various other items. It did not seem that there was anyone actually in there at the time although I did not make much effort to find out as I did not want to risk a confrontation with those kind of people.

I am now unsure of what steps I should take to reclaim my property, and was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. Is this a problem frequently encountered in London?

Should I contact the police? Will they be willing to accompany me on a return visit?

I think the traditional way is to get a few lads together, secrete a half dozen snooker balls in a sturdy sock or two, and clear the place out. It is expected that you then reward your unofficial bailiffs with a half-evening's entertainment at a local drinking club.

Your squatters are probably tree-loving, pasta-eating Aussies/New Zealanders in any case. So get stuck in.

I think there are a few people on here who are pro-squatting... would be interesting to hear their views. I guess if they're "good squatters" then they might just quietly leave when asked, but I remain cynical.

If I was in your position, I would be tempted to wait until they are out of the house, then clear out their stuff and change the locks. I think it would technically be illegal though.

If you contact the police or council, then I would think it is likely to result in a lengthy legal process.

Sounds like you need to do the place in any case up so I'd say just torch the gaff. You could either say the squatters' bong set light to their sleeping bags, or could do it tonight and claim it was a stray firework through the letter box.

The polis won't be bothered, and you can then get your renovations done on the insurance.

Make sure they are not in then force the door, chuck all their stuff in the front garden and make the house secure and start doing what you need to do. Wait for them to return and then see what they do, if they start trying to break in call the police to report a burglary in progress. In the ensuing argument just claim that the stuff was in the garden when you arrived and you fixed the locks because they were broken.

The squatter needs to prove that he has been living there to claim squatters rights but it's unlikely they have been paying a utility bill so job done.

You might want to get a burly friend to stay there a few nights just in case they attempt to return.

Other alternatives are, as Ted Max says, beat seven shades out of them or go through a lengthy court battle

Change the locks and move their things out and they'll probably just move away peacefully but don't mess with them because:

(a) everyone needs to live somewhere and you don't know that these might be really vulnerable people and having you go in and mess with them could be the last straw; and

(b) no matter how big you are, there's always someone bigger and meaner and it just might be them.

If these people existed, I would advocate following the sensible advice on here from Sean, Giggirl, Jeremy and Ratty.

But as they are invented so you can press a few buttons on the Forum, I'd say your best course of action is to gas them out like badgers.

As Sean says....

Really, what is the harm in talking to the ppl? They are human beans, non?

There are many properties that are empty for quite literally years (12+) and individuals are not to know what the situation is of any particular property. Just speak to them.

It's easy enough to get a court order in the 'county court', just takes a few weeks, quite hassle free really.

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As Sean says....

>

> Really, what is the harm in talking to the ppl?

> They are human beans, non?

> There are many properties that are empty for quite

> literally years (12+) and individuals are not to

> know what the situation is of any particular

> property. Just speak to them.

>

> It's easy enough to get a court order in the

> 'county court', just takes a few weeks, quite

> hassle free really.

I don't really know how to talk to these kinds of people; like I said I don't want to provoke a confrontation without some sort of backup especially if it's likely there will be drugs and stuff involved. Once I had some problems with some drugs people who defecated in the communal stairway of a tenement building I lived in in Glasgow. As well as leaving various paraphenalia lying about. My upstairs neighbour tried to reason with them but they became agitated and threatening and she was then scared to come back to her flat after dark. There are various things in the property that have my home address on them so it would not be difficult for them to find out where my home is.

I heard on the radio just the other day that violent crime is up in London and I just don't want to take any risks. Not with the sort of people who are bold enough to take up residence in someone's house without permission.

squatters rights are only enforced if someone is in the property at all times, so if you go there and no-one is there you have the right to break in and throw out their stuff. Also they need to put an official squatters notice on the front door when they take possesion if its not there then the property is still yours. trake it back quick. I will help you if you like.

Can't think why people are blathering on about short memories, trees etcerera and so on. It's hardly in the spirit of a request made here on Bonfire night.

Anyway JRussell, send me a pm and and I'll sort you out with a Dave Courtney DVD. That way you can get it done legal, brutal or any combination thereof.

Welcome to the testosterone frenzy and off the cuff gangster remarks forum

Please ensure you are tooled up at all times & have a brace of steriod fuelled wisecracking cockney gangsters at your beck & call at all times. The use of unoriginal & derived free and easy macho talk is mandatory.

Lock stock & 2 smoking barrels will be shown in the lounge at 11PM sharp

Please note, the management reserve the right to violently eject guardian reading liberals or anyone who does not show them the respect they deserve

We hope you enjoy your time here

Jackie boy

Move in with them , cook exotic fruit curries all day & night , have "Jazz" parties smoking "Jazz fags". Make a 16mm movie , sleep with the "leaders girl" & give her an STD. Discuss counter revolutionary politicos & call yourself "felix the cat". Discuss the possibility of sky travel & astro project into their futures.

The moon's a balloon so go on and pop it!

Yeah that's how.

Now move on "square guy"

W**F