Community Wardens

panama

Just to let people know Community Wardens don't wear red day glo jackets, their uniform is either black jacket with red tabard ,black trousers and grey shirt similar to traffic wardens.

Their bike uniform is yellow jacket with day glo stripes with Community Warden on front and back.

Their work is primarily environmental however they have evolved into a organisation that deals with a whole host of matters including ASB, working with young people, cordon control at incidents, and now in the bonfire period are very busy dealing with fires and youths shooting off fireworks at each other and innocent passerbye's.

Not a lot of people realise how much work they do and how effective they have become in dealing with issues, most of the press always attacks them and very rarely mentions any of the good work that they do.

Just to let people know Community Wardens don't wear red day glo jackets, their uniform is either black jacket with red tabard ,black trousers and grey shirt similar to traffic wardens.

Their bike uniform is yellow jacket with day glo stripes with Community Warden on front and back.

Their work is primarily environmental however they have evolved into a organisation that deals with a whole host of matters including ASB, working with young people, cordon control at incidents, and now in the bonfire period are very busy dealing with fires and youths shooting off fireworks at each other and innocent passerbye's.

Not a lot of people realise how much work they do and how effective they have become in dealing with issues, most of the press always attacks them and very rarely mentions any of the good work that they do.

They are hopeless. I spent 6 months trying to get them to sort out fly-tipping in our street and they just had cosy chats with people (who then ignored them). I don't think they have many powers other than the power to try to persuade people to be good. The problem improved vastly when someone in the council with some bite got involved.

They are hopeless. I spent 6 months trying to get them to sort out fly-tipping in our street and they just had cosy chats with people (who then ignored them). I don't think they have many powers other than the power to try to persuade people to be good. The problem improved vastly when someone in the council with some bite got involved.

Dear Gimme

Get out from behind your computer and come along to a Police Ward Panel, where you will meet them AND the police AND the PSCOs and you can tell them your opinions to their face. You may have to give your real name though.

The next Police Ward Panel for Nunhead and Peckham Rye ward (which includes bits of East Dulwich including the bit around The Gardens and a bit up Barry Road) is held at the Harris Girls Sports Academy school, 7pm Thursday 3rd December.

You can find out from your local SNT -- (number is on the Southwark Website; do you want me to do everything for you? ;) ) --- when and where your own local Police Ward Panel is being held.

Dare you.

Dear Gimme

Get out from behind your computer and come along to a Police Ward Panel, where you will meet them AND the police AND the PSCOs and you can tell them your opinions to their face. You may have to give your real name though.

The next Police Ward Panel for Nunhead and Peckham Rye ward (which includes bits of East Dulwich including the bit around The Gardens and a bit up Barry Road) is held at the Harris Girls Sports Academy school, 7pm Thursday 3rd December.

You can find out from your local SNT -- (number is on the Southwark Website; do you want me to do everything for you? ;) ) --- when and where your own local Police Ward Panel is being held.

Dare you.

Dear Gimme

Community wardens are far from hopeless and i think there is more to your case than you are letting on, and they have a number of powers ,new ones include ones issued under the police reform act 2002 which means they can request names and addresses for acts of ASB, they can confiscate alcohol from underage drinkers, confiscate cigarettes from persons under 16, confiscate alcohol from person drinking in designated public place.

As well as the old powers which enable them to fine people for littering and dog fouling under the Environmental Protection Act.

They also have the power to enter and inspect any business within Southwark.

I think in your case they have referred the fly tipping matter to Enforcement who are then supposed to take over the case and follow it so the wardens did exactly what they are supposed to do.

You will find that wardens are quite adept at solving issues within the community so please don't write something misleading if you are not up to date with their powers and what they can actually do

Dear Gimme

Community wardens are far from hopeless and i think there is more to your case than you are letting on, and they have a number of powers ,new ones include ones issued under the police reform act 2002 which means they can request names and addresses for acts of ASB, they can confiscate alcohol from underage drinkers, confiscate cigarettes from persons under 16, confiscate alcohol from person drinking in designated public place.

As well as the old powers which enable them to fine people for littering and dog fouling under the Environmental Protection Act.

They also have the power to enter and inspect any business within Southwark.

I think in your case they have referred the fly tipping matter to Enforcement who are then supposed to take over the case and follow it so the wardens did exactly what they are supposed to do.

You will find that wardens are quite adept at solving issues within the community so please don't write something misleading if you are not up to date with their powers and what they can actually do

Much to the irritation of the "micro crims" round here the wardens are a large part of why they are getting caught , charged & arrested. My neighbor has recently started a local Community action group after getting finally fed up with brain dead teenagers & suchlike making life unpleasant or worse for the local residents.

We now have meetings which residents, police in all it's guises attend and action has been taken & we even get reports back through their liaison team.

So yes we are seeing a return to leafy normality here in The Wells Park area of Sydenham. The wardens & the police have taken our views seriously & like they said "We need information & real evidence to act" They encourage us to report all crime no matter how low level it seems, it does all build up and make change happen.

The key however to all this is to quit carping & get off your arse in the first place.

W**F

Much to the irritation of the "micro crims" round here the wardens are a large part of why they are getting caught , charged & arrested. My neighbor has recently started a local Community action group after getting finally fed up with brain dead teenagers & suchlike making life unpleasant or worse for the local residents.

We now have meetings which residents, police in all it's guises attend and action has been taken & we even get reports back through their liaison team.

So yes we are seeing a return to leafy normality here in The Wells Park area of Sydenham. The wardens & the police have taken our views seriously & like they said "We need information & real evidence to act" They encourage us to report all crime no matter how low level it seems, it does all build up and make change happen.

The key however to all this is to quit carping & get off your arse in the first place.

W**F